The slaughter of the innocents

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Never hang around the hives in the hope(?) of seeing the drones ejected as I'm busy doing other things, but today was day two of setting the hives up for winter and putting the feeders on (most were very light) All Queen excluders are now off and it's then we see in the most prolific hives evidence of the workers herding the drones onto the outermost frame (they tend to just chose one end, and before someone says - they're all cold way) poor buggers get crammed in to the edge and no longer get fed, so in desperation they try to get into the honey above and help themselves, but being chunky beggars, end up getting stuck in the queen excluder - then die...
drone1.jpgdrone2.jpgdrone3.jpgdrone4.jpg

I had that once years ago. I asked here what could have happened?
I love seeing the few that get through the winter, happily buzzing about in March.

The things we do to bees!

Not a criticism of the OP, just a reflection on the lethal side effects of some of our management techniques.

The things we do to bees!
.......... just a reflection on the lethal side effects of some of our management techniques.
How? if the QX hadn't been there, they would just have been dragged out, stung, dismembered, left to freeze or so many other gruesome ways of a slow death

Latest posts

Back