The season isn't over yet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Reading this forum it is easy to believe that winter is approaching and we should be reducing down. Just looked in my hives and they are bursting. Bringing in a myriad of pollens and all using the supers in earnest. It has been such a good year for me at last. I know you haven't all had weather like me and may be locking down your bees up North but the forum covers a large area so please, the newer beekeepers on here especially, take heed of your own area circumstances! It aint necessarily over yet!
E

Sam
Reading this forum it is easy to believe that winter is approaching and we should be reducing down. Just looked in my hives and they are bursting. Bringing in a myriad of pollens and all using the supers in earnest. It has been such a good year for me at last. I know you haven't all had weather like me and may be locking down your bees up North but the forum covers a large area so please, the newer beekeepers on here especially, take heed of your own area circumstances! It aint necessarily over yet!
E

Same here in The Highlands.

My broods are bursting with little food in the supers or in the brood frames. Nothing here till ivy comes and that’s 2/3 weeks away. Balsam isn’t out and bees on it all the time but little income.

Not much further North than you Eric and my story is much different. Anyone posting can only do so from their own observations and mine were that my bees were making preparations at the end of July. I noticed they are on Balsam today and there's not much of that around here so the best mine can hope for is Ivy.

Just the ivy to come now as a major forage in the outer areas of town.
Though I never get a mega excess the girls can pull in 20- 25 lbs to bolster what they already have esp if it remains mild.

Very good here in the Midlands....for my bees at least. For the third year running there has been an early crop, mainly down to fantastic Lime tree flowering. I must start labeling it as Lime! There are wonderful gardens all around my apiaries, with an abundance of flowers for the bees. Now, the Himalayan Balsam is getting going. It flowered last year well in to November around here. The farm lost all it's Oil seed rape crop this year, but it made no difference to the new colonies there. Most of them are huge now!

Hi Mark
Like all things bee related it was very localised and you got the short straw!
Good pic - looks like the children had some fun at least. Was this the 2019 - 2020 winter or the year before?

Hi Eric, Maybe I should put some supers back on then. I had left them off as I was about to start treatments. A little concerned I will miss the cycle window if I put supers back on though to be honest.

Hi Mark
Like all things bee related it was very localised and you got the short straw!
Good pic - looks like the children had some fun at least. Was this the 2019 - 2020 winter or the year before?
Year before Poot.. The guys loved it not as much as me.
I've got pictures somewhere of will stood on top of the disco, and there was a drift taller than him.

Hi Eric, Maybe I should put some supers back on then. I had left them off as I was about to start treatments. A little concerned I will miss the cycle window if I put supers back on though to be honest.
I would concentrate on the treatment. Let them put the stores into the brood box!
E

I am heartened to read this. Thinking I took most of my honey a bit early this year, maybe should have left longer.
Lesson learned for another year.

The bees have been hitting the Japanese anemones hard for a month now. I don't know how much they get from them. The brambles were good, the lime a washout.
it's been a strange season. Days of heavy rain in the late winter and early spring, then drought, then since July rain for at least half of every week, with the occasional really warm day.

I would concentrate on the treatment. Let them put the stores into the brood box!
E

You would say that, if I have less honey to sell where could my potential customers possibly source some honey from ;):p

On a serious note, yes, I think i will stick to plan A which is treatment now.

Latest posts

Back