The robbing "pillaging" of wild Bee colonies.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael ECB's

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Not Enough yet.
As done with so many of our other natural resources.
Sustainable? I would think not....:(

New Link below

Last edited:
Could not upload that link.

Noticed you are in SA.... possibly a part of the planet where "truly wild" bees still are extant??

Chons da

Could not upload that link.

Noticed you are in SA.... possibly a part of the planet where "truly wild" bees still are extant??

Chons da
Video looks like one of the Asian forests somewhere?

Will look at hosting video on other platform....

Got it
I have seen similar huge colonies of bees in peninsular Malaya.
Harvesting the honey comb did not appear to be killing bees.
Thanks for posting this.
Chons da

It worked for me and has put my blood pressure over the top!
Again it’s an example of how little our natural world is respected.
Given that beekeeping is a sustainable way of producing honey, is there a need to destroy wild nests in this way? I guess somewhere along the way it’s driven by greed.
Very brave robbers though.

Last edited:
As done with so many of our other natural resources.
Sustainable? I would think not....:(

New Link below

That is the biggest problem in Lesotho, there's never been a history of beekeeping there, just 'honey hunting' the shepherd boys are notorious for it, they would collect all their old gumboots and burn them under the colony.
Part of my own time out there was trecking the hillsides of the Quiteng gorge talking to the herd boys and getting them to look at a more sustainable income by keeping bees not robbing them.

Last edited:
It worked for me and has put my blood pressure over the top!
Again it’s an example of how little our natural world is respected.
Given that beekeeping is a sustainable way of producing honey, is there a need to destroy wild nests in this way? I guess somewhere along the way it’s driven by greed.
Very brave robbers though.
Don't you just love Homo sapiens?

That is the biggest problem in Lesotho, there's never been a history of beekeeping there, just 'honey hunting' the shepherd boys are notorious for it, they would collect all their old gumboots and burn them under the colony.
Part of my own time out there was trecking the hillsides of the Quiteng gorge talking to the herd boys and getting them to look at a more sustainable income by keeping bees not robbing them.
Those Lesotho mountains are mean. and very unforgiving, they may not be the tallest but as far of remote or off the beaten path, you will battle to find another. Locals are such a nice "people"..... I imagine many a herd boy has slipped and fallen to his death trying to rob bees.... I very much doubt they have rope never mind vails or any sort of protective gear.....
Hats off to Lesotho folk...
On a cold night, they will give you the shirt off their own backs....

Sorry but some of the comments above are rather uneducated and coming from rather comfortable positions. Looks like south Asian honey gathers to me and as to sustainable it’s very much so and has been going on for hundreds of years. I suggest 1 or 2 go do some research!!!

Latest posts

Back