The roar from the hives.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
Just been for my evening stroll around the estate. The roar from the hives was fabulous, they've been packing in the ivy and the night shift are now busy. I love that sound. Anyone else been listening in this evening?
Cazza

Just been stocktaking in one of my sheds.
Mine too are a 'hive of activity' - so comforting eh?

Yep - mine are the same.
In fact I reckon they've been busier this week than they have all year....
zzzzzzz:party:zzzzzzzzzzz

If it gets any warmer for any longer into the month I'll be worried about them swarming...

I only have my little cast at home but it is great when I come home to see them flying in and out. It is awesome just being able to stand and watch.

so is anyone putting supers on to make room for the flow?

I usually winter on single b without problem but this year I have supers on 2 hives as an experiment. i would say their work rate is slower at the moment than the single b's.
C

Roar or hum?

Anyone, and there will be many that have, that has heard the roar from a hive that has lost it's Queen will know what a roar sounds like.

Chris

I've put on an extra super.
I had extracted the original super at the beginning of September and left them with about half to see them through the winter, but they have been that active the have refilled the original and were running out of space so gave them extra to use for the Ivy and HB.
Busy Bees buzzing away!

Roar or hum?

Anyone, and there will be many that have, that has heard the roar from a hive that has lost it's Queen will know what a roar sounds like.

Chris

I don't mean that lost queen roar but last night it was more than a hum, maybe a quiet roar or very loud hum.

C

Latest posts

Back