The retirement life of a queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've a 2014 queen that I suspect was getting a bit passed it. Queen cells appeared last month, so I did an AS. Her laying became patchy with breaks every few days. Then more queen cells appeared and I'm guessing supercedure is planned, which is obviously a good thing.
But I thought I'd try and hang on to her anyway, partly because I paid for her and also for the sake of her good genes, so I rehoused her in a nuc with the frame of young brood she was on.
This morning around 10.30 I went down the garden to watch the entrance activity when I saw old queenie herself, crawling around on the grass. She was marked green, so I know it was her. There were no bees near her. I let her crawl onto my hand, hoping to place her back in a nuc, but up she flew and headed off into the distance.
This evening, her nuc is empty. I'm guessing the bees went back to their original hive.

So do you think the bees kicked her out or did she just fly out by herself to die?

Firstly, they weren't supersedure cell's they were swarm cells, when you made up the nuc in the same apiary all the flying bees went back to orginal hive, Your queen was left without any bees. Can not think of a better alternative

Guys, you're right. Is that penny dropped? Maybe I though the bees were more likely to stay put if they had some brood.
Yes, probably very few flying bees although I lifted the frame straight out with no shakes.

What else did you move together with queen, one frame of brood and the bees that were on it?
What happened to the brood on this frame once the bees 'dissappeared'?
If she was a 2014 queen and already past it, not that good IMHO.

What else did you move together with queen, one frame of brood and the bees that were on it?
What happened to the brood on this frame once the bees 'dissappeared'?
If she was a 2014 queen and already past it, not that good IMHO.

I popped the brood frame into another nuc. They would have been without bees for maybe 3 hours, mainly just eggs only over quarter frame on one side. Not sure if they would survive that, but it was full sun on the hive and 20 to 24C air temp if that would help.

I did the same with my 2014 queen. She has slowed down the laying and first they made swarm preps then after an A/S a supercedure cell appeared. I popped her in a nuc with a frame of brood, a frame of food and some drawn comb. I also shook in some extra nurse bees and placed the nuc 6 feet away. Since then she is laying well in the nuc - for now. However I expect her days are numbered - but I can't bring myself to do the deed!

I did the same with my 2014 queen. She has slowed down the laying and first they made swarm preps then after an A/S a supercedure cell appeared. I popped her in a nuc with a frame of brood, a frame of food and some drawn comb. I also shook in some extra nurse bees and placed the nuc 6 feet away. Since then she is laying well in the nuc - for now. However I expect her days are numbered - but I can't bring myself to do the deed!

Question.
Could you clip a leg and let them supersede her?

Question.

I know I have squished queens and unwillingly crushed and maimed bees during inspections, but something would forbid me from deliberately maiming her like that, even if it is for the greater good.

Question.
Nooo! She has been a lovely queen and extremely prolific. I reckon even running at a reduced rate she will still be as good as some of my other queens. Just not fit for running my main production colony at home.
I did make 3 daughters from her - so it remains to be seen if they are any good. Failing that it's back to hivemaker for a replacement.

Question.

I know I have squished queens and unwillingly crushed and maimed bees during inspections, but something would forbid me from deliberately maiming her like that, even if it is for the greater good.

Rather a stupid suggestion anyway - just leave them supersede her in their own good time if you're that squeamish.

Sorry if I am being thick, but she won't have "flown off" in my (embarrassing and very recent experience) but will come back. She'll be there if you look (impossible to find but it depends how committed you are whether you might want at least to try).

Latest posts

Back