the queen popped out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slider955i

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
checked out our bees today and everything looks fine apart from could not find the queen
anyway we thought we had missed her so put hive back together and was just about to walk away and there she was on the floor

controlled panic set in , quickly lifted off supers and gently put her back in

hair raising stuff this bee keeping :hurray:

no doubt she would have gone back in by herself but had to make sure

on the plus side the hive is growing week on week , will probably have 3 rd super on next weekend or perhaps weekend after

well chuffed so far :cheers2:

Did you check the underneath of the crownboard when you removed it ?

I have had a few queens who when smoking the entrance head north onto the crownboard and get put down beside the hive.

Just noticed you have supers on,so in your case checked the underside of the queen excluder.

I stopped smoking entrances years ago :)

John Wilkinson

Really John ?
I have thought about it a few times but find a quick puff stops me from spooking them when I crack the crownboard.

Its a habbit I have,maybe I should try your way,what do other members do ?

Couple of puffs in the entrance, couple of minutes zipping up the jacket and veil, lift the lid and couple off puffs thru the inner cover.
Try not to use smoke most of the time and just use 1:1 spray with HBH. Can get away with that until about this time of year when we're in a bit of a dearth and they get a bit antsy when you start investigating their honey stores in 90+ heat.

I was told to just let a little smoke drift across the entrance, but wouldn't like to say if it helps or not. perhaps i need to try without.
once open i tend to just use a mist spray of water if needed (usually coz my smoker has gone out!)

Couple of puffs in the entrance, couple of minutes zipping up the jacket and veil, lift the lid and couple off puffs thru the inner cover.
Try not to use smoke most of the time and just use 1:1 spray with HBH. Can get away with that until about this time of year when we're in a bit of a dearth and they get a bit antsy when you start investigating their honey stores in 90+ heat.

about the same method i use....and 90+ heat, yes i know the feeling how anstsy they get....in my right ear, still throbbing from saturday, direct hit as i walk back to pick the smoker up, with the zip undone

Serves you right for chugging smoke into the hive.
For once- just try - open gently. Cover the bees with a clean towel- allow them to settle- then start looking -exposing one frame at a time- it really works- they dont rush and munch the stores in panic- but calmly carry on working. Just slow and gentle- queen safe too
Not you, MM- sorry you got stung- but people who fill the hive with smoke- then wonder why queenie legs it.

My bees seem v gentle - but ignore the smoke completely - no sudden urge to scoff the honey... just come to see what I am doing. Get a bit stroppy eventually, as being a newbie, I take longer to do everything, but not been stung yet...

The hives I've been to haven't been smoked at all, and the bees just carry on as normal. The 1st one I did notice the buzzing went up a notch when we went in the brood box, but they didn't bother anybody. The second time, different hive, they must have been used to visitors as it is an assoc hive for teaching. I wouldn't like to keep smoking them every time I wanted to go in the hive. The bees we are getting I am assured are very gentle, like the others I've been around. Do you think it might be an idea to only smoke them if we are doing very invasive procedures, or for colonies we don't know? Still be fully suited of course, I just don't want to distress them.

1/ Always check the underside of the crownboard/queen excluder for the queen when you remove it.

2/ Hold combs over hive when inspecting them in case the queen drops off.

Have smoker to hand- you never know what you will find- but give them a chance to behave first.....

An experienced beekeeper once said to me that he never smoked the entrance because he couldn't see the logic in pushing the bees towards the top of the hive just as you are about to open it.

Makes sense to me!

Si.

Latest posts

Back