The Practical Bee Guide

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_e

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi -
A friend sent me an old book on beekeeping he'd had for ages, and I was just reading through it when I came across this passage I thought some of you might enjoy:

"...Virgil, the Latin poet, put forward in verse the results of his study of the habits of bees, with a degree of accuracy sufficient to excite a wondering admiration on the part of twentieth century readers. But to the average beekeeper the hive, until comparatively recent times, was as a sealed book; the marvels that it contains, the excellence of its internal economy, and the unselfish devotion, wisdom, and singular attractiveness of its occupants were, if known at all, known only to the few. Virtues and beauties thus hidden could make but little appeal, as yet, to the respectful admiration of human intelligence. The heroic acts and incomparable works were wrought, like evil deeds, in darkness: and man, loving only the visible, the tangible, sceptic always of the unseen, had not learned that within the secret places of the hive were enshrined mystery upon mystery, and that within the humming insect, flitting in his garden from flower to flower, there beat a heart brave and noble enough to deserve his respect and even to awaken his love."

Latest posts

Back