The Plan

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcleod2860

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi new to the forum just thought I would share my plan. I have been thinking about starting beekeeping for a few years I have read a few books and I have been given a free langstroth hive that had been left at the end of the garden and had 7 new frames with slightly damaged foundation wax due to the mouse that had set up shop so:

1 fix up hive over the winter and make a few more supers

2 go on local association winter theory course and do practical course in the spring

3 get some bees next spring

all advice welcome cheers conor

Sounds like a great plan - and welcome to the forum.

Might be a good idea to order the nucleus of bees soon, if you're sure you want to go ahead next Spring: it would be very frustrating to get kit, training and everything else sorted, then have to wait months for the actual bees because you hadn't ordered any . . .

Good luck!

FG

PS, you're not Conor Mcleod, of the Clan Mcleod are you? I saw you in a great film!

thats good advice to order bees early, i had always wanted bees but never did anything about it, then last april just thought sod it i`m going to do it, i got hive and all the gear but then found i was struggling to find anywhere that still had bees, i did get lucky tho and managed to get a nuc from a supplier just a few miles from me.

so well worth getting in early to save any worries later.

thats good advice to order bees early, i had always wanted bees but never did anything about it, then last april just thought sod it i`m going to do it, i got hive and all the gear but then found i was struggling to find anywhere that still had bees, i did get lucky tho and managed to get a nuc from a supplier just a few miles from me.

so well worth getting in early to save any worries later.

Get local Bees, talk to the course manger see what they offer, we get beginners on our course calm local bees at half the price you would pay on the internet which are normal thrown together with foreign carnie queens

on net

May or June £250 per NUC
July £180-200

search here in june july £120-150

local BKA July £80-100

Bait hive=Free

and welcome but alos get a christmas list of books on beekeeping

Last edited:
HI if you have had a mouse in the brood box make sure you add all new frames and blow torch the brood box. As bees will not build on frames that a mouse has been on, hope this helps,

I'll just add.

Find a friendly local beek, have a look, and get stubg to see if you are allergic before you spend to much money.

HI if you have had a mouse in the brood box make sure you add all new frames and blow torch the brood box. As bees will not build on frames that a mouse has been on, hope this helps,

yes, best new frames, and definelty new foudation, it will have glazed over and bees will draw it but prefer new 2011 foundation

if on a tight budget then soak the frames in bleach and boiling water to get rid of the mouse wee

Hi new to the forum just thought I would share my plan. I have been thinking about starting beekeeping for a few years I have read a few books and I have been given a free langstroth hive that had been left at the end of the garden and had 7 new frames with slightly damaged foundation wax due to the mouse that had set up shop so:

1 fix up hive over the winter and make a few more supers

2 go on local association winter theory course and do practical course in the spring

3 get some bees next spring

all advice welcome cheers conor

Sounds like a fine plan - good luck for next year.

You may decide that havin a spare have is also a good idea (it will make life a lot easier, I promise), but you have few months to plan for this

Thanks for all the advice I just got collins beekeepers bible for my birthday which seems to cover alot

thanks for the advice on the mouse frames I will get them clean

I e-mailed Aberdeen BKA about 2weeks ago but no reply so any advice on how to find a local nucleus for next year would be great

cheers conor

p.s it is conor mcleod my parents were comedians

:iagree: Best book on the market IMO. Best source Amazon -about £8 inc shipping.

If you're going to run Langstroth you need to find out who locally can supply a Langstroth nuc, most who can supply them don't post because there's very little call for them in the UK as most people run nationals.
The alternative is a National nuc and a lot of *******ing about wiring the national nuc frame to a langstroth frame with a sapce to stop the bee's wild combing the gap.
You might have more luck finding a Langstroth nuc supplier on the other forum. I now know of a couple but one's in London and the other in Portsmouth.
There may also be some available in Kent but we'll have to wait an see on that one.

Latest posts

Back