The one that got away

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlander

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
12 14x12 hives. 2 standard nationals and 8 14x12 nucs.
OK so I get a phone call about a swarm just across town from me and if anyone knows Norwich they will know it’s not that big. Now this will be my first swarm ever so really excited and adrenaline was pumping. On rout I had to take my young daughter to her school for a disco (she only 10). Height of rush hour so getting quite frustrated. I had already called a friend (Village Girl) who contacted the guy who had the swarm in his garden.

Village Girl gets there and keeps an eye on things while I’m struggling through traffic and with no working air con. Now I’m on the phone to Village and I’m 3 minutes away when she tells me they have all taken to the air. Oh well next time. Sorry Tony if it had not of been for the disco we would have bagged the girls, well boxed them.

Oh where was village Girl’s swarm box (for new beeks we do have all the equipment, well some) strapped up a bl—dy tree baited for a swarm.
:banghead:

A cardboard box will suffice.
Happened to me a couple of weeks ago, as i parked the car off they went.
Win some, lose some.

As you say win some and lose some, Just would have been niced to have got there in time and cought it as it was first swarm.

And Village I not really angrey that you didn't have a box on you but you had pockets.:beatdeadhorse5:

You win some, you lose some. Better for them to go early than just as you approach them.

I have been told that 'simulated rain' will reduce their immediate flight;

Been mention of clanging pans on the forum, too. Never tried either.

Don't worry, there will be more,

Noticed this pm considerable interest in one side of an empty Dartington. Each sde has a couple old frames, that is all. Could be big George, little George, Nigel or Marvin - all within a couple hundred metre or so - or others. We shall see. Not counting chickens.

ok my bad, i dident think to take a cardbord box :blush5: i followed instructions on were and how to use a bate box wich is why it was up a tree. how was i to know your first swarm collection was going to be throuh rush hour :( i am sorry and dissapointed for you oh and can you come and take my box down from the tree for me please ;) just incase

A friend of mine had one in a tree for sixteen days, through wind and storm, we eventually hatched a plan to get them ( they were really high up) got in the car to go do the business and ........ Yep ......they flew off!! Sixteen days and they waited until I was en route ...... Oh well!

better for them to fly off before you take them home and hive them only for them to disappear some hours later

I know how you feel. I got even closer to a collection today. Called out this morning to a swarm that had been on a fence for about a week and smoked them up into my skep, even saw the queen as she went in. Left skep about fifth full on sheet propped up so foragers could get in and planned to collect tonight. Checked about an hour later all looked fine. I went back tonight not a bee in sight.

Should I have done anything different?

Sounds as if you did it by the book if there is a book and yes as said so by Enrico sod's lawbee-smillie

Latest posts

Back