The one that didn't get away.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlander

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
12 14x12 hives. 2 standard nationals and 8 14x12 nucs.
OK after yesterday’s escapade and the swarm that decided to leave just before my arrival we have success. Big prime swarm collected in the rain. No bees flying as it was really coming down and the ones that we disturbed soon obliged by getting themselves into the swarm box out of the rain right sharp. Little smoke on the entrance job done. Will check back later this evening to see if there is any clustering and will pick these up. This swarm had decided to settle on a big holly bush in the street of a housing estate. Residence said that it had been there since yesterday and feared that the local school children (yobs) would be back again today after school throwing stones at the swarm. For this reason did not want leave swarm box there. I do though believe because of the weather there were very little left behind. Swarm now passed on and hived with Village Girl giving her a second colony.
Big thank you to Tony.

:)

No you were right Rab. Tell me Rab I take it you been a beek for a good while, do you ever get board of picking up swarms.

Shabro it was lucky that it was such an easy one which was made easier by the weather. There’s no doubt about it if I had of left box there the local kids would have interfered with them in not such a nice way. And Village Girl still didn't bring a cardboard box with her.

Thank you Corriena could not have done it without you, yay you have more bees.

Tell me Rab I take it you been a beek for a good while, do you ever get board of picking up swarms.

Only been out to pick up one this year; at a friend's house (need to go back later and remove some from a part-built extention for him).

Trying to reduce my hives rather than increase. Only been out to capture two tiny casts in about the previous four years (from another friend's house). Bait hives are sooo much easier.

I have almost dropped off the council and police swarm lists (well, I hope I have).

I think I have had four or five re-homing themselves in my kit this year and likely another today (if it has stopped raining for long enough).

Hey ho, a few unites late in the autumn should help to avoid any need to feed - and produce strong colonies for over-wintering.

RAB

You've got to admit though, every one is a different challenge! And some of the easiest at first glance turn out to be the hardest to keep!
E

Latest posts

Back