The old swarm in a chimney problem...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinkerbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am going to try and lure a swarm out of a chimney in a house an acquaintance has been house-sitting for.

I'd really like to keep the bees for myself if I possibly can. I haven't seen the situation yet and it might well be that there is nothing I can do. In the event that I can - anyone out there thought of anything clever for this situation that works well?

Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.

Tinkerbee.

Swarm or colony? A subtle difference, and even luring a swarm out is not that easy.

Easier to catch a swarm from a colony in a chimney

I am trying something similar. We have a feral colony in a chimney so I have placed a nuc hoping they might swarm at some stage. There is a balcony fairly close by (there is also a little section of flat roof even closer and higher) but I hope this could be attractive. The roof would be that much more awkward though I did wonder whether I could tie a rope round so I could retrieve the (poly) nuc that way. I am hoping that the colony would swarm once every 3 years approx and I don't think it swarmed for the last two. Can anyone say whether this might be about right? I haven't seen much activity up there over the last few days due to the weather. It would be ironic if they had died off having survived for a long while.

most unmanaged colonies swarm at least once a year!

Tonybloke said: most unmanaged colonies swarm at least once a year!

Great. That makes me more optimistic. They are still very quiet today ... Perhaps I should check the nuc box.

A colony in a chimney is most usually not a problem. Trying to get them out is sometimes a stupid thing to do.

any chance you could block the entrance to prevent the bees going back to the original home (by putting a funnel so they come out but not get back in
and put a nuc with a Q in and house bees so by 4/6 weeks all would be in the nuc and original queen my leave the chimney or im i wrong i getting them out:blush5:

Latest posts

Back