the novice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikethebee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Subject:email Re: Novice
To: 2009/5/24 [email protected]

Thanks Mike; How much are your bees? I think I need a queen and a drone?

Subject:email Re: Novice
To: [email protected]
Date: Monday, 25 May, 2009, 9:28 AM

Mike -I have been told I need to have Docile bees.

HI DAWN THANKS FOR EMAILS I suggest you join a beekeeping club near you before you start keeping bees learn the basic’s then come back to us for your bees!
And know what you’re talking about!!.
1 .Join the beekeeping forum its free. www.beekeepingforum.co.uk ask the questions you want to know.
2 .Ask for the free nucleus for new bee keepers on joining the association.
3 .Find a mentor in your area don’t rush in to buying anything,
4 .Don’t buy old used equipment at your first attempt,
Handle bees at your association first!
5 .Spend time gaining knowledge before you buy anything! You are going to get robbed of some hard cash otherwise,
I will copy this email on the forum to show others starting up what you have been advised,
Ask the questions and know what you’re talking about!! this will be the first step on the ladder
All the best mike

I'm really not surprised that you get enquiries like this, some people jump into things with both feet without testing the water first :ack2:

good on you for giving them sound advice :hurray:

A women in Thornes this morning walked up to the counter and said "i'm here to buy a complete national hive, don't mind if its made up or flat packed" as there is nothing in the shop apart from crownboards and quilts she did'nt have a chance.

I did get my Nuc tho and as of today are a beekeeper. Now if only the weather warms up I can get em hived and a feeder on.

Baggy?

Its fifteen degrees here and warm enough to transfer them.

PH

it was spitting with rain when i posted last.

all done when the sun came out. didn't see her maj but will do more early next week. pollen was going in at about 4 so all seems to be well so far.

Its not abnormal not to see the queen when transfering a Nuc,I am sure you will on your first inspection when you have more time.

Its not abnormal not to see the queen for weeks when you start off. As soon as you can see eggs you can relax though.

Going back to Mikes original post, his stance is to be commended, i for one have started to feel all this publicity is actually becomming detrimental to bees and beekeepers, we have increased theft, and also an alarming increase in the type of hobbyist who dives into it without really having enough of a clue, just because its becomming "cool" to keep bees.

We could end up with hundreds of hives accross the country, unattended, full of disease, because many have realised its actually hard work sometimes and cant be bothered.

Just a point to think about.

Going back to Mikes original post, his stance is to be commended, i for one have started to feel all this publicity is actually becomming detrimental to bees and beekeepers, we have increased theft, and also an alarming increase in the type of hobbyist who dives into it without really having enough of a clue, just because its becomming "cool" to keep bees.

We could end up with hundreds of hives accross the country, unattended, full of disease, because many have realised its actually hard work sometimes and cant be bothered.

Just a point to think about.

I think this is a very good point. We've noticed a similar thing with allotments. It became very fashionable, but on a wet cold day, who wants to be digging out weeds? Two plots next to ours have been enthusiastically cultivated last year, only to fall into disuse this year.

Our local beekeepers association have had so many applicants that they are now saying that they can't promise to support any new applicants this year. There must be at least 20 new beekeepers (like us indeed) who have set up their first one or two hives within the last few weeks. It will be interesting to see how many of this year's intake are still active next spring.

I think that we already have hundreds of hives full of disease, unattended and abandoned, you cant blame novices for the spread of disease, after all we have only just started.I have seen four different locations all with multiple hives that have been full of dead bees after being abandoned, im sure this wasnt beginners who have parted with their hard earned cash. As for increased theft, i dont think novices would have the ability or indeed the confidence to steal bee hives full of bees. The only dishonest beekeeper ive met has been the "old hand" that ripped me off wth a hive of rubbish!
I wish i knew everything about beekeeping but i am learning, i didnt get bees because its cool to keep them, i think with the relatively high cost of equipment that does not happen, there will always be people who wish to try new things, such as beekeeping or keeping an allotment,just because some decide its not for them should the rest be discouraged from having a go?
Better to help than hinder surely.

Just because a hive is abandoned it does not mean it is diseased.

The vast majority of colonies that die do so by means of neglect and poor wintering sites and the abilities of the bees to winter successfully.

When up until recently you consider the average age of beekeepers it is no suporse that a proportion take the bees a year further than they are able and matters come to grief.

As for too many taking up bees I feel there is a lot of truth in the thought that many are going to get a bit of a shock when they realise that bees can be a serious handful and can turn rather nasty.

A reality check awaits more than a few.

Extracting honey is a sticky hot messy business. Bees sting. There are legal aspects to selling and labeling honey. Oh dear it's all rather difficult, not like the TV at all.

I would love to see a reality show where the cameras watch a bee farmer for a year. That would knock some of the silly fuzzy thinking on the head.

PH

That was one of my thoughts PH regards buying Nucs from Easybee.

They are very good bees that not long after buying tend to expload accross the combs,you no longer have a few frames of bees but an army of them,they do take some handling.

I think a few new beekeepers could be in for a shock if they are not ready for it,my advice would be to go along to a local association and learn to handle a full colony before your little nuc explodes.

I'm a brand new beekeeper and I'll be brutally honest and say I really underestimated them. Not the level of work involved, we have a smallholding so it's not an issue in that regard.

I'd handled bees before at my association, but that was in March. It's a very different proposition going through a hive in late May I found.

The problem I have is I'm more than a bit scared of them. I get stung everytime I go through the hive at least once, so I approach them with something like dread. We are scheduled to look at the hive on Friday and I'm determined not to get stung!

My mentor tells me it gets easier everytime. I hope he's right. He's been brilliant, I couldn't even consider this without him.

Having said all of that, it's really interesting and I'm fast becoming obsessed by them.

I suppose looking back, I was scared of my chickens once (they were too flappy!), and also my pigs scare the bejesus out of me when they run at me.

Hmmm, maybe I'm just a scardey cat...

They are very good bees that not long after buying tend to expload accross the combs,you no longer have a few frames of bees but an army of them,they do take some handling.

I bought my Nuc a month ago (Not from easybee) and this is what I was expecting, but they haven't exploded, they are building up quite gently and I'm really glad that they are because when you are a noob standing in a field on your own, having a few bee's pinging off your veil and buzzing around can be pretty intimidating, A couple of thousand pinging off your veil would be terrifying when you are not 100% confident in what you are doing :ack2:

but if you look on the bright side, there'll be plenty of bargains to be had in 12-24 months time when they are selling their kit off cheap :cheers2:

I've spent over 2 years reading and investigating bee's before I even splashed some cash.
Any kind of livestock is not to be taken lightly but the increased media coverage and I suspect the smattering of urban beekeeping on the river cottage programs may have increased the thought that bees are easy, lets get a hive.

Anyway, I'm off to the allotment this afternoon to pull some weeds in the rain.

I may be wrong but I got the impression from River cottage that Hugh had no idea regards the bee's and had not done any courses but got the East Dorset beekeepers in to look after them,I remember him saying something a month after they arrived regards moving them 50 feet over there.

I do apologise, i now realise the massive task i have taken on,i fear its too much for me and i am frightened that i may not be up to the immense responsibility of keeping these vicious dangerous beasts.I bow to your superior knowledge and wish to get rid of these nasty things.Will ordinary fly spray do?

The problem I have is I'm more than a bit scared of them. I get stung everytime I go through the hive at least once, so I approach them with something like dread. We are scheduled to look at the hive on Friday and I'm determined not to get stung!

they probably sense your fear and take charge of you in the exact same way as dogs do.

My German Shepherd is the softest mut on the planet and is scared of her own shaddow but looks the big hard dog with a gob full of big pointy teeth, she loves people and the people that are scared of her and squeal and flap about are playing an excellent game for her, she gets wound up by it and gets excitable. People that completely ignore her find that she stands and looks at them and eventually she'll nudge your fingers for attention, no drama's. :svengo:

Well well Steve, sarcasm is all very well.

I do though wonder how many are going to stay cool and calm as their gloves get covered in stings, the wind blows their veils and their nose gets it making their eyes water. Not every one can cope Steve.

I make a point of highlighting what can go wrong and how far it can go wrong as some have a very rosy view of matters and a dose of reality now can save a hell of a lot of grief later.

PH

they probably sense your fear and take charge of you in the exact same way as dogs do.

My German Shepherd is the softest mut on the planet and is scared of her own shaddow but looks the big hard dog with a gob full of big pointy teeth, she loves people and the people that are scared of her and squeal and flap about are playing an excellent game for her, she gets wound up by it and gets excitable. People that completely ignore her find that she stands and looks at them and eventually she'll nudge your fingers for attention, no drama's. :svengo:
I think you might be right. Hopefully time and experience will dispel most of that. Hey it worked with the chickens!

Pigs are still mean though, little buggers.

Latest posts

Back