The next panic - lead in honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the basis that bees pick up minerals found in the dirt, there will be gold in hives in Johannesburg...................

Chances are that lead has been part of honey for millennia as it naturally occurs in the soil and is taken up by plants sparingly. The conc. is not mentioned! I used to test hops for arsenic levels as the plant naturally leaches this out of the ground. (measured as parts per trillion by the by), It is still used in beer! The lead content from my tap supplied via old lead pipes had less than 1 part per billion when I tested it several years ago when the water company wanted us to change our lead pipes for plastic at a fee! I do hope the lab who raised this issue didn't wash their equipment under the tap before testing LOL.
As a side issue the salt I used to buy for my marine tank used to list all the elements in the mix. Turned out to be the periodic table! Don't think we need to panic just yet!

Makes one wonder how people, animals and bees have managed to survive smog, leaded petrol, coal fires in every house, baby's dummy dropped in the dirt and put back their mouth.. Mud pies, no fridges to keep food fresh..polluted rivers, eating stew made from days old leftovers.............

Makes one wonder how people, animals and bees have managed to survive smog, leaded petrol, coal fires in every house, baby's dummy dropped in the dirt and put back their mouth.. Mud pies, no fridges to keep food fresh..polluted rivers, eating stew made from days old leftovers.............

Blimey Dishmop! It's a bit rough where you come from mate! LOL :icon_204-2::sorry:

Remember last year going to association autumn lecture where guest beek showed pics of his creosote treated hives and lamented the fact creosote was no longer available.

Still used widely in Africa - most suppliers in South Africa give you the choice of untreated or ready creosoted.

I do like the bit at the end of Wally's email about people still using galvanised kit - I know of at least one beek who sells his honey to local retailers - extractor and settling tank - galvanised. It seems an obsession, in the West at least - this year at the Pembrokeshire beekeeping auctions a galvanised extractor went for over £100.00 (to a beekeeper), two lots after an almost like new plastic one went for twenty quid!!

these people have to put up these worries, as they are sad and normally ugly, and it's the only way to get people to talk to them

Wally's not to everyone's liking but he is very knowledgable although I don't agree with a lot of his ideas - but it was quite right of him (as technical officer for the WBKA) to highlight this report and forewarn beekeepers as some eejit in central government may pick up on this and try and make a name for himself.
If the post had been read properly you would see that Wally's message was perfectly balanced and was just passing on some information that other beekeepers may not have seen not trying to cause consternation and panic. so I think that rather puerile attack was to say the least uncalled for. Maybe when you have as much beekeeping experience under your belt as Wally topped with an MBE for services to beekeeping you may be able to debate with him on the same level?

What are the sub-lethal effects? Big Lead, sods!!

Blimey Dishmop! It's a bit rough where you come from mate! LOL

Thats why they have never built any decent road into Norfolk...

Theres so many villages thats its difficult finding somewhere to put any new roads anyway.

And the ones that you have seem to be permanently blocked with Turnip carrying trailers moving at 3mph pulled by a tractor that was probably new when my Dad was a boy and driven by a Turnip !

I though this was the second line of defence in case someone tried to get in to Norfolk (By accident of course !)> :icon_204-2:

And the ones that you have seem to be permanently blocked with Turnip carrying trailers moving at 3mph
Only when you're already late.

Latest posts

Back