The Magestic Plastic Bag! What a life it leads.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good film with an important message.

What it could easily have made clear is that all bags exposed to UV degrade one way or the other and are ingested by organisms in the soil, rivers and sea, leaving mounting residues in soil and sea and killing many along the way. Degraded bags NEVER go away they just get smaller....and that includes the "degradable" bags some supermarkets and stores still peddle. Biodegradable is quite different.

A quick survey in a local not very big Morrisons last week revealed one tiny display of reuseable bags and at a snapshot in time all eight in-service checkouts were serving customers using only the standard plastic bags. I despair.

I lost a ewe a few years back on an upland field....her rumen stuffed with blue balewrap. Where had that come from? Ubiquitous plastic :(.

Right. Back to work.

A quick survey in a local not very big Morrisons last week revealed one tiny display of reuseable bags and at a snapshot in time all eight in-service checkouts were serving customers using only the standard plastic bags. I despair.

so it going to come to this then is it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2205419.stm

i very surprised how few people in my local morrisons reuse bags compared to my local tescos, i assume its the 1p per bag club points incentive

Got to blame Bob Greaves for the proliferation of plastic bags supplied by super markets. He ran a campaign 30 odd years ago , to force supermarkets to supply plastic bags free "As they carried free advertising " . He got his way and whoosh ! suddenly ,every day millions of extra bags (that paid for wouldn't have been) are used with alacrity !!

John Wilkinson

I used to feel bad about using plastic bags a few months back. When I used to take the pram everywhere, I used to have a few stuffed under the seat for use when I went to shops, or not bother with bags at all, just fill the basket underneath. Now he's in school, it took some getting used to remembering to take some with me when shopping, and sometimes ended up kicking myself for forgetting at the check out. I am a single parent, on a tight budget so couldn't always afford to keep buying the reuseables, and it sort of defeats the object if they aren't being reused. It doesn't help that I have a condition that affects my memory. I have those fold down fabric ones now in my handbag, but still sometimes have to use a plastic if I buy too much shopping. I have been putting them in the recycling bin for plastics but have been told this week that they can't be recycled :(

I liked..
“It is now nightfall, and our highly advanced night vision cameras have managed to capture, for the first time in history, a plastic bag in pitch black. Phenomenal.” :rofl:

Latest posts

Back