THE LAW IS FUNNY ha ha

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikethebee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have three shipping containers two 40ft and a 20ft on my own land there tucked in the corner of the field surrounded by trees unseen by anyone, unless to my business down the lane looking over open fields.
There used for storage of new correx Nucleus beekeeping boxes and 400 package swarm boxes ready to fill with bees for sale in the spring,
The council say they are an eye sore and I will have to get rid of them, Nobody has complained as far as I know.

SO I have asked if I could paint them all round top to bottom with pretty colour`s paint flowers and trees on them and move them in the middle of the field back to back
THEN fill them with live bees and use as a bee house-bee barns all the year round.

It will be classed as Agricultural buildings with no fixtures. estimated to hold 160 hives each with one man maintaining them.
The council has gone away to think it over.
Do you think it will be accepted?
to see the site; www ******* products.co.uk
all the best mike

I am not sure beekeeping counts as agriculture. I have heard of a case of someone trying to erect a honey house and being told it did not count as an agricultural building.

I also know someone who built a stable in a field which was completely out of sight except to trespassers. He didn't have horses but used it to renovate an old car - not as a business, only a hobby. The council got very uppity and the outcome was not nice. The law is of course an ass and I guess local councils will interpret the rules as they see fit but you may be on dubious ground try the agricultural buildings route. Worth the try any way.

I am not sure beekeeping counts as agriculture.

I would have thought if its genuine (in this case food production?) it would be, if its not then they will object.

Even I can see what Mike is doing so the council will do too, why have a battle for the sake of making a point?

Mike, why not just apply for planning permission for a proper structure???

Last edited:
lol, I should have checked the dates,taaaaa

I also know someone who built a stable in a field which was completely out of sight except to trespassers. He didn't have horses but used it to renovate an old car - not as a business, only a hobby.

Stables and horses aren't classed as agricultural and building stables is a well known loophole route for gaining planning permission for a dwelling where it wouldn't ordinarily be granted. Councils have good reason to be wary of such things no matter how innocent.

Frisbee

very good point frisbee, I have seen several so called stables built that look just like a bungalow but with out the windows, as for the shipping containers as such, if i rember rightly no permision is needed for a tempory timber building but a steel shipping container is not under those rules and as such would at least need out line planning permision. The other consideration is how many times have you upset the local council, I did at my old allotment when i first moved in I had 6 councilers come and visit the site to see what i was doing as i had built a shed where as no one else had and when i put 6 telegraph poles in the ground at a hieght of 8 foot to make a fruit cage they thought it was a pole barn and went nuts, the same people because i had upset them when i dug a well at the allotment site as there was no water supplier reported me to the severn trent authority, that was one of the funnyist and shortest court cases ever heard at straford county court

if i rember rightly no permision is needed for a tempory timber building

It depends on how big it is!!!!

Under new regulations that came into effect on 1 October 2008 outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.
On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.
Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.

, the same people because i had upset them when i dug a well at the allotment site as there was no water supplier reported me to the severn trent authority, that was one of the funnyist and shortest court cases ever heard at straford county court

Nice one Pete.

But did they make you take out an abstraction licence?:svengo:

PS RIP Mikethebee

Stables and horses aren't classed as agricultural and building stables is a well known loophole route for gaining planning permission for a dwelling where it wouldn't ordinarily be granted. Councils have good reason to be wary of such things no matter how innocent.

Frisbee

I know of a family who did a barn conversion without planning permission. When challenged, husband moved out, wife played the sympathy card (no where to go, at ones wits' end etc. ) Local council took the bait, lots of tea and sympathy plus retrospective planning permission !. On completion of formalities, husband returned to the now legal and very desirable residence :svengo:.

John Wilkinson

Some councils are worse than others.

In Ribble Valley (where I used to live) they had no sympathy and anything unauthorised had to be demolished.

Where I live now (AONB), you need PP to put up a garden shed or even a greenhouse. (yes even a small greenhouse).

A guy near me just built a large conservatory without planning.

Last week I got a letter from the local council asking if I objected to "Retrospective planning permision" for the building..

There was a article in the devon bk magazine a few years ago about a beekeeper who had put in planning to build a large building for his buisness on open agricultural land,eco friendly,turf roof and all that piffle,the council turned it down,saying he could put up a building on the local trading estate instead.

He appealed agaist this,saying that thousands of bee's on a trading estate would not fit in to well,thats why it needed to be in open land,and with the backing of the NFU,MAFF/DEFRA, i believe also the bbka,and a legal company that took on the case,he won the appeal. Classed as a test case at the time,the legal team offered to help any other beekeeper wishing to do the same,and stating so in the magazine.
Beekeeping does come under some agricultural rules now i believe,but obviously only the one's that suit then,like we don't get compensation if a bee gets TB and has to be destroyed.

Last edited:
the abstraction licence was the reason i had to go to court for the well, the well its self is another story but basicly i was supposed to have a water extraction licence, but my solisitor looked into it i did not need one as i was planning to extract below the 1,000 litres a day level, it was nearer 1,000 litres a week!!! but the issue was that they have an area size that most allotments fit into which is 25 m long by 12m wide bigger than that and you are considered a small holding or markey gardener, the second issue was i said the hole in the ground was a sump collect chamber which is not a well and they said it was a well, the whole court case took 25 minutes and all costs went against the severn trent for starting it all off

thanks for the descriptions of tempory wood structures i had not realised it was so complicated, but then i only build wooden sheds 8 foot by 12 foot and 7 foot tall or buildings 150 metres long and 600 metres wide and 35 metres high, bit of either end of the extremes realy

A freind of mine with a horse business has just bought a big field and may be planning on building a few stables.

For planning permission for equine housing planning is about £1600 (and they can still say no!)

If he eats one or sells one for food occasionally, it is reclassified as an agricultural building and would be about £80

planning can be a nightmare or as sweet as a dream... depends who's pocket you are lining.

I am planning on digging a big hole (well) and using at as a pond / water collection pit like you Pete, and pumping out using hand/electric submersable pump.

Or there is always the drainage ditch next to me, but you never know what has gone in that.

Why Ban Mike the Bee?

Sorry to be so stupid but I am concerned that MtB is banned. I have always enjoyed his inputs and as a fairly new member would like to know why this action has been taken so that I can avoid it myself. I know some correspondents have been banned from other sites but I cannot think of a misdemenour bad enough to ban him from this. (Or am I just missing the point of an in joke??):cheers2:

Sorry to be so stupid but I am concerned that MtB is banned. I have always enjoyed his inputs and as a fairly new member would like to know why this action has been taken so that I can avoid it myself. I know some correspondents have been banned from other sites but I cannot think of a misdemenour bad enough to ban him from this. (Or am I just missing the point of an in joke??):cheers2:

I think.........and may be quite wrong :) That MtB pushed his luck too much re advertising his business. When the forum first started, Admin said anyone could advertise (because on the you-know-where-forum advertising was banned) but MtB definitely went over the top and was pushing his business left right and centre, till all his posts were me! me! me! and all we heard about was his business trials and tribulations, which frankly isn't what this forum is about.

He was amusing in his own way, but others on here are amusing too and we have the bonus of several very experienced beeks who offer us advice.

:grouphug:

Frisbee

Back