The K. I. S. S principle

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Morning everyone, I try and make my beekeeping as simple as possible and follow the keep it simple and safe principle.
@Poly Hive so he might see this:).

When I started beekeeping and came on this forum Pete was very helpful and I think' Kiss ' was thought of by him?.
Anyway... This is for beginners or not..
Pls add / comment with your easy methods that maybe as a mentor you might teach your mentorees using kiss.

These can be anything involving beekeeping, and bigginers pls comment, because the wise aren't always the wisest ;)

As a first year beekeeper who had their classes canceled the best single piece of advice I could give is never open up a hive without a plan. Know what you're looking for, and once you find it stop looking. For example. I know I want a viable queen. If I see the queen great, but I'm happy if I see plenty of eggs and brood in all stages. I won't leave the hive open for 20 mins while I search (though I did once or twice initially until I broke myself of the habit).

According to the great all knowing never been wrong encyclopaedia in the sky, Wikipedia:-

"KISS, an acronym for keep it simple, stupid, is a design principle noted by the U.S. Navy in 1960.[1][2] The KISS principle states that most systems work best if they are kept simple rather than made complicated; therefore, simplicity should be a key goal in design, and unnecessary complexity should be avoided. The phrase has been associated with aircraft engineer Kelly Johnson.[3] The term "KISS principle" was in popular use by 1970.[4] Variations on the phrase include: "Keep it simple, silly", "keep it short and simple", "keep it simple and straightforward",[5] "keep it small and simple", keep it simple, soldier,[6] or keep it simple sailor."

I could give is never open up a hive without a plan.
It's what I did when I had 3 colonies. I inspected them 2-3 times per week without any plan. It was curiosity, and of course lack of experience and practice. It was interesting as if to open a new world or when a kid breaks his toy to see what is inside.
Simplicity, which I think is good for bees, is not to change the order of frames in the brood box.
I need something like KISS in my language.

KISS

Or as the founder of Lotus cars ### - Colin Chapman - said

"simplicate and add lightness"

Which is a good motto for hive and component making in beekeeping..

### The "adding lightness" bit applied to Lotus cars - with fibreglass bodies.. Once overdone in one test model where the panels which held the pedals was thinned down to save weight... and when the test car braked suddenly the brake pedal went through the bulkhead!

According to the great all knowing never been wrong encyclopaedia in the sky, Wikipedia:-

"KISS, an acronym for keep it simple, stupid, is a design principle noted by the U.S. Navy in 1960.[1][2] The KISS principle states that most systems work best if they are kept simple rather than made complicated; therefore, simplicity should be a key goal in design, and unnecessary complexity should be avoided. The phrase has been associated with aircraft engineer Kelly Johnson.[3] The term "KISS principle" was in popular use by 1970.[4] Variations on the phrase include: "Keep it simple, silly", "keep it short and simple", "keep it simple and straightforward",[5] "keep it small and simple", keep it simple, soldier,[6] or keep it simple sailor."
Thanks Murox I've copied and shared the links with my mentorees.

KISS

Or as the founder of Lotus cars ### - Colin Chapman - said

"simplicate and add lightness"

Which is a good motto for hive and component making in beekeeping..

### The "adding lightness" bit applied to Lotus cars - with fibreglass bodies.. Once overdone in one test model where the panels which held the pedals was thinned down to save weight... and when the test car braked suddenly the brake pedal went through the bulkhead!

Yes ... well you know where the name Lotus came from don't you ... it's a mnemonic ....
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious ...

I had the 'pleasure' of driving a Lotus Espirit Turbo for about 6 months - a new one in the mid 1980's .... the glove box would open every time you hit a bump in the road, the electric windows would never shut without pushing on the top of them, the electrics were diabolical and it was bloody uncomfortable to drive, the windscreen cracked twice in 6 months and the wind howled through the gaps around the doors which also sprayed you with water whenever it rained ... although you couldn't drive it in the rain as the windscreen wiper stopped working as soon as any water got on the car. Mind you .. as I recall, I didn't drive it that much as it spent most of its time back in the garage being repaired. When it was going it would go like sh off a shovel ... enough to induce a scream out of 'er indoors when I took her out in it for the first time and I floored the throttle ... however, the brakes were not quite as efficient as the engine performance. It went round corners on rails and wore rear tyres (which back in the 1980's were £120 each !) out at an alarming rate ...

I know why they used to say it was the 'Lotus Experience'.....

Latest posts

Back