The Headless Beekeeper Messes Up Again!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
Today, being a Bank Holiday and my wife working (the sick don't take holidays and she is a nurse) I decided to make an "educational" video showing the uniting of two mini-nucs. Ha! Plan was based on one mini-nuc having a queen and the other queenless. I had checked a couple of days ago and the queenless colony was quite small in numbers and a bit tetchy. There were no eggs and no sign of a queen. Situation clear then?

So I set up everything to show the transfer of the queenless colony into the other using an upper body for the mini-nuc to accomodate the frames.

Everything was in place - but I had missed one vital step - I had not discussed my plans with the bees.

Paert two will follow in a week or so when the bees have drawn out the starter strips comb in the upper body (hopefully), which was fitted to the stronger colony later - off camera.

See next post for the video - coming soon.

Sorry about the continuing delay. I'll be coming round with buckets of free popcorn in a moment.

It is not very good popcorn - so you may want to keep the buckets for use later. A bit like you have to in a well known fast food outlet.

buckets of free popcorn in a moment.

10 litre ones we can use for storing honey?

Regards, RAB

:lurk5:

What time does the movie start .

Got over the popcorn? Here's the main feature - certificate 15. Sound for the first few seconds is rubbish but it then gets a little better. Bare with it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuJ1EB1L6OM[/ame]

Nice trick! I've eaten all the pop corn and I now feel quite sleepy. If you tell me you posted the video and I slept through it I am going to have to bel ........

snrrrrr, snrrrr, sn...

oh oh when is the sequel?

Loved the first part
when is the next bit coming to a cinema near me?
Clare

Good vid. You sounded a bit like David Attenborough... not that Devon at all.

Can't wait for the next one.

Looking forward to the next one.

I like your videos.

:)

Thanks, had a technical issue trying to suppress the background noise so my disconnected ramblings (aka "the narration") could be heard. Still haven't really cracked it but it is better then version one - which did not go into general release - hence the delay.

lol, that was the funniest video I've seen on here :laughing-smiley-014 You could almost see you going " Ah, they weren't supposed to be there....mmmm" lol

A few questions though, and please bare with me as these are seriously beginner questions. I'm back to the daft question phase, I'm like a teenager, I go through phases lol.

What have you got them in? They look like poly shoe boxes ;) , no seriously.

Why do people keep nucs? Is it to turn into full sized colonies as soon as you can? Or to sell? To prevent swarming you can create a nuc but I thought nucs were a temporary way of keeping bees, but when you see peoples profiles, they sometimes say things like 4 colonies, 2 nucs.

What is a starter strip? Is it that dangly down bit of wood on TB frames? ( You know what I mean ;) )

Finally, wouldn't plastic on top make them a bit, well, sweaty? You know what I mean. Plastic makes things hot and sticky......and bees can be sticky creatures. Or is it because it is only temporary? Or is plastic ok, and doesn't make them sweaty? So many questions lol. I can't wait for part two ;)

Nice video Rooftops, shame about the plans being wrecked. I take it that plan Bee was the fallback position.

It is possible to separate the video and sound should you feel the need to go that route and then merge a sound track as long as you have your timing right.

It all seems so simple when spoken quickly.

= = =

Cover sheets albeit plastic are very handy. As you can see, the bees propilise them so that they have to be carefully torn back off the top bars. Much easier and more predictable than levering off a roof with top bars attached.

Kazmcc you just have a way with words lol
I can't wait for part 2 of the vid Rooftops
Mainly for Kazmcc next lot of Questions lol
No offence Kaz just, you so funny.Well i think so.

Does your film turn into a horror in part two! or has it gone straight to DVD. Nice to see plastic nuc boxes in action. Glad I'm in the best seats. Regards Steven

Are they plastic? Thanks for pointing that out BeeNice, I thought they were poly. Didn't even occur to me thay would be plastic lol

Latest posts

Back