The girls....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
The girls....taken on that one 'day' the sun came out!

Nice pics jezd, well done.

I like the plywood bb with butt joints. How old is that ?

Nice pics jezd, well done.

I like the plywood bb with butt joints. How old is that ?

not sure, I have loads of older kit and new mixed, at least its modified national lol

Nice photo's
991.gif

Just a note on the ply. It looks like 18mm can you mix it with the 22mm bought cedar stuff or do you have to use all the same. Im thinking you will get steps in the varying widths, is this a problem?

I have cedar stuff and it would be good news if i could mix it up and make my own. :)

P.S. nice photos

Last edited:
Cedar at 22mm ? Are you talking about purchased beehive boxes or plain cedar timber ?

Nice to see the sun shinning in the uk in your pics Jezd,are you sure you never photoshopped them,or is that real uk sun ?

My purchased flat packed hives are 22m but 18mm ply seems to be the way to go if making your own.

I was wondering if they would be compatible with each other.

Just a note on the ply. It looks like 18mm can you mix it with the 22mm bought cedar stuff or do you have to use all the same. Im thinking you will get steps in the varying widths, is this a problem?

I have cedar stuff and it would be good news if i could mix it up and make my own. :)

It doesn't matter whether it's ply or cedar or pine or 18mm or 22mm.

If its been made correctly to the design spec it's all the same dimensionally and is fully interchangeable.

The critical dimensions are 460x460mm externally, 7 or 8 mm bee space, and a 32mm rebate for the lugs.

Don't mix bottom bee space kit below top bee space kit. Nearly all nats are bottom bee space.

If it helps here's a pic from my 'phone of a plywood 14x12 brood box I made yesterday.

It contains 4 pieces of 18mm ply for the ends and sides, and 4 pieces of 44mm pine for the rails. Cost about £5.

Onge I've given dimensions for B.S. Modified National, whereas I've just noticed you have Mod Dadant hives. The principles are the same but the dimensions are different, particularly the lug rebate. There is a sticky giving Dadant dimensions elsewhere on this forum.

I did make some Smith boxes from 18mm ply with good success and Dadants are very similar but bigger.

Cedar at 22mm ? Are you talking about purchased beehive boxes or plain cedar timber ?

Nice to see the sun shinning in the uk in your pics Jezd,are you sure you never photoshopped them,or is that real uk sun ?

taken on 13th July :) the the day the sun smiled

Onge I've given dimensions for B.S. Modified National, whereas I've just noticed you have Mod Dadant hives. The principles are the same but the dimensions are different, particularly the lug rebate. There is a sticky giving Dadant dimensions elsewhere on this forum.

I did make some Smith boxes from 18mm ply with good success and Dadants are very similar but bigger.

Just a bit more hijacking of this thread sorry.

On the subject of the lug rebate can anyone who has made Langstroth or Dadant hives tell me if 18mm leaves sufficient wood after the rebate or do i need thicker ply ?

Langstroth Top bar 483mm, bottom bar 448mm. Each lug is therefore 17.5mm. 10mm for runner and 7,5mm for bee space.

Hopefully this answers your question. Don't forget 1mm each end of the top bar is needed for clearance and propolis build up.

Data source Dave Cushman - of course.

The rest I'm sure you can work out for yourself. Ask again if you need clarification.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back