The future of beekeeping.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:iagree:

They would probably start talking about introducing a list of specifications for hives and frames..

Yeh ... Fines for those people without matchsticks under the crownboard with a gaping hole in it would help to pay for the qualification apiaries .... Me ? I'll be an underground beekeeper if ever we get to that stage.

I'm all in favour of people becoming competent beekeepers ... in whichever way they choose .. but I think compulsory qualification is not something I think is either necessary or desirable. Registration is on the cards and we are half way there with Beebase and I don't have a problem with that ...However, if you are thinking that anything organised and managed by the BBKA is going to be a success then it's doomed before it starts ...

If you go down that route it should also apply to dogs, cats, mice, fish, chickens, goat, pigs etc, etc anything to do with live animals, I don't think we should go down this road, although it looks like a good idea on paper but not in practice .

I've often thought that people should have to take a test and get a licence before they have children,
but again, let's not go down that road. :driving:

Rightly or wrongly, registration is on the way eventually. We can't avoid it as part of the EU and all it's bureaucracy. ..........
But they won't care about competence, just traceability.

Yup - and I have no problems with that, it's just a great pity that we have some people that are obsessed with 'qualifications' and bits of paper, and would probably be far happier in a totalitarian state

So to gain this licence, all colonies (maybe thousands) would need to be moved to these approved apiaries until the licence is obtained, yes?

Anyone think licensing is going to be effective?

It requires polcing and penalties for those who don't comply --or rewards for thoe who do.

Anyone think the Governments is going to expand the number of inspectors to do it? At a time when more spending cuts are on the way?

If yes, please point us to the funding source. The obvious one is an annual levy on all hives..And compulsory state insurance.. And penalties sufficiently high to encouage people to register.

I can see that winning lots of votes..not:)

Ain't going to happen in the real world.If the BBKA suported it, it would lead to an exodus of members, So they will not.. And without BBKA support it's a dead duck.

:iagree: totally cuckoo idea

Yeh ... Fines for those people without matchsticks under the crownboard with a gaping hole in it would help to pay for the qualification apiaries .... Me ? I'll be an underground beekeeper if ever we get to that stage.

I'm all in favour of people becoming competent beekeepers ... in whichever way they choose .. but I think compulsory qualification is not something I think is either necessary or desirable. Registration is on the cards and we are half way there with Beebase and I don't have a problem with that ...However, if you are thinking that anything organised and managed by the BBKA is going to be a success then it's doomed before it starts ...

:iagree::iagree:

It is not the future of beekeeping that concerns me... but the future of beekeepers, from some of the total nonsense written on here by what Mr Finman calls one hive catch and release beekeeperes there seems to be little if any hope!

Yeghes da

It is not the future of beekeeping that concerns me... but the future of beekeepers, from some of the total nonsense written on here by what Mr Finman calls one hive catch and release beekeeperes there seems to be little if any hope!

Yeghes da

Anyone under FOUR hives is now a target ... I'm trying very hard to keep up ...

I've often thought that people should have to take a test and get a licence before they have children,
but again, let's not go down that road. :driving:

There was a bit on TV yesterday about parents going to the school to learn how to intereact with their children...by listening to them for a start..

it's just a great pity that we have some people that are obsessed with 'qualifications' and bits of paper,

and often they are the ones who talk utter rubbish that means nothing, because they mistakingly believe that because they have that bit of paper that they must be right.

If people did a bit more thinking instead of just asking, they wouldnt get confused by conflicting answers..

"Where can I buy frames for a hive"??????????

If somebody cant figure out that sort of problem, then one wonders if they should even be considering getting bees.

Sadders, you are right. Licensing is on its way. The others on here who list obstacles will find themselves overtaken by events. It will come and we will probably have no influence over what structure, qualifications, experience or education will be required. It'll be EU-wide, it'll be soon.

Sadders, you are right. Licensing is on its way. The others on here who list obstacles will find themselves overtaken by events. It will come and we will probably have no influence over what structure, qualifications, experience or education will be required. It'll be EU-wide, it'll be soon.

So where has all this licensing idea suddenly popped up from anyway?
Newspapers? Google..TV..? I havent seen anywhere that it is going to happen.

and just what would more red tape do to help,

They cant even sort out the dangerous dogs act properly...and as for the fact that they "loose" 100's of people who they have refused to allow to stay in the UK...

Will they form a S.W.A.R.M team and break down garden gates?

Will they form a S.W.A.R.M team and break down garden gates?

They will need an experienced law enforcement officer who has some knowledge of bees - and kicking down doors to lead it.......................

Mmmmwwhahahahah..:D

My thoughts are that beekeepers should be licensed. Non-licenced people should not be allowed to keep bees or buy bees. To gain a licence you should first have to attend an approved course and keep you bees for a certain time in approved apiaries where there is support. There should also be periodic updates in order to stay licensed
I'd doubt that many of the nation's bee farmers have formal qualifications, but they do have a heck of a lot of expertise.

How on earth do you plan to force people into formal training, when they are adults who have the right to choose. It's dictatorial and, frankly, the wrong way to go about things. I'd like to see you tell the chap down the road from us that he has to take lessons and register his hives on Beebase. Then, when you've recovered, you can go back later to try to enforce it!

We currently (in the UK) have the association system and the BBKA.
Anybody can start a beekeeping group if they want to, they don't have to be linked to any national organisation.

BBKA/SBA/WBKA/INIB etc don't have a monopoly, there are a number of "Natural Beekeeping" groups round the country, some county based, some covering a smaller area. There are the sunny Hermann's groups too.

just put sadder in charge of a one man s. w. a. r. m. team and when he goes around the bleeks he will get some common sense knocked into him

icanhopit;478313 one hive catch and release beekeeperes there seems to be little if any hope!

Yeghes da

Keep it simple. If only hive dies, only hive owner has nothing.

But buy a package hive from Italy.

The future in UK beekeeping is nonsense written by Finman.

Well, I am not that good.

We are off the radar for the time being, possibly because honey and bees are low-risk products. I reckon some form of compulsory registration will be a requirement of those chaps in Brussels, when they get bored. Unless the standard of beekeeping falls to a level that causes public nuisance and harm. Or when we get SHB or if the foulbroods go rampant. Then watch out!

I've had that déjà vu before...

Latest posts

Back