The Drone Saga

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the info regarding pollen availability and luckily enough my queen rearing gets done in a couple of sites rich in late sources like heather and ivy. May also go some way to explain why some struggle late season and I find it normally rather good.

I like the info regarding pollen availability and luckily enough my queen rearing gets done in a couple of sites rich in late sources like heather and ivy. May also go some way to explain why some struggle late season and I find it normally rather good.

Drones require the same conditions that virgin queens do. In fact, one of the techniques (which I don't agree with) for maintaining large numbers of drones in a colony, is to de-queen it. A queenless hive retains drones.

Yes you certainly notice the difference with the numbers of drones in an apiary set up for queen rearing late on and in particular queen less cell raisers and nucs.

Yes you certainly notice the difference with the numbers of drones in an apiary set up for queen rearing late on and in particular queen less cell raisers and nucs.

Can you explain the jargon a bit more please Ian for a learning beek?

Can you explain the jargon a bit more please Ian for a learning beek?

You may find this introduction to queen rearing video helps.
Essentially, a queenless colony will recognize it's need to generate a new queen quite quickly. They feed royal jelly to larvae which develop into potential queens. If you collect these queen cells and distribute them to small nucleus (nuc) colonies, you have a potential to increase your number of colonies.
These "starter" colonies need lots of young bees, pollen and open honey so they can feed the developing larvae. The same applies to drone propagation as it does to queen rearing.

Last edited:
I understand I've been using a Miller frame method among other things this season.
It was more of a question about the terminology of things if that's the right word.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Some raise cells in queen right colonies. I prefer queen less starter/raiser/finisher some methods use different set ups for these stages. Google Gilles Fert queen rearing there’s an English version for a decent book.

Drone take 24 days from egg to hatch, then16 days before mature enough to mate and seem to be past it at 28 days.
Get your drone supply colonies up to speed and well fed at least a week before grafting
Chons da

Latest posts

Back