The coming winter - a worry

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver90owner

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I read this link a few days ago and thought it might be something to consider later, when the coming winter is much harsher than the last. I wasn't sure whether to post here or on the off topic chat, but it may be very relevant to our bees.

http://yowusa.com/earth/2010/earth-0810-01a/1.shtml#2aug10

Basically it is showing how the BP disaster has altered the oceanic flows - which may seriously affect our winter temperatures.

The main part seems to be:quote "Now, current temperature measurements for the Gulf Stream on the Atlantic Front (from 76 to 47 meridian) now appears to be about 10 degrees Celsius cooler than it was this time last year."

Whether this is already affecting our weather patterns, I know not - but we are having some right trashy weather recently.....

Regards, RAB

The trouble with cold Winters is that sometimes bees starve. I don't think the cold per se does any harm... although it was annoying that Spring started so late this year.

What do you think?

I just feel depressed reading about the state of the ocean

it was annoying that Spring started so late this year.

Spring as far as ambient temperature was very late this year. There were acres of crocuses but ne'er a honeybee.
The winter produced the best wild flowers ever later in the year.
Our hives sat in fields of clover earlier this month, the bees imprisoned by the rain.

Last year it rained all year..... or seemed to.
The easter of the year before snow lay on the ground for three weeks.
Both those events pre BP

The long hot summers of my childhood with their flitting butterflies and buzzing insects seem almost a figment of my imagination.

Is it man made climate change or just the way our weather patterns fluctuate anyway?

I just feel depressed reading about the state of the ocean

depending which side you read, some say (mainly not Americas) that the area has recovered very well and fish stocks are already up as they over fished and dredged the area too much.

Remember this is crude oil, a NATURAL product, that NATURALLY seeps from the earth all the time.

I have an idea that the La Ninia phase and cooling through the pacific is more relevant than such theoretical speculation. The gulf loop is several hundred miles from the oil spill. Those who would wish to profit are getting increasingly desperate now that the (typical American) hysteria is dying down.

Winter could be brutal.

Sounds like high-grade pseudoscience to me. I'll wait until I hear it from some other sources before I panic.

What do you think?

If this affects the gulf stream, then it could mean we have a permanent winter,all year round.

I read this link a few days ago and thought it might be something to consider later, when the coming winter is much harsher than the last. I wasn't sure whether to post here or on the off topic chat, but it may be very relevant to our bees.

Regards, RAB

dont worry about it. The end of the world will come 21.12.2012. It is only 15 months.

http://yowusa.com/earth/2010/earth-0810-01a/1.shtml#2aug10

Basically it is showing how the BP disaster has altered the oceanic flows - which may seriously affect our winter temperatures.

The main part seems to be:quote "Now, current temperature measurements for the Gulf Stream on the Atlantic Front (from 76 to 47 meridian) now appears to be about 10 degrees Celsius cooler than it was this time last year."

Whether this is already affecting our weather patterns, I know not - but we are having some right trashy weather recently.....

Regards, RAB

rather a biased report

yes it will be colder this year, the south Atlantic is already colder this winter ( our summer), why, well it is nothing to do with BP

it is the la Nino that has reversed and is we are now in a la Nina and the pacific oscillation has changed to a colder pattern, the altantic is now also changing to it colder phase

http://www.elnino.noaa.gov/lanina.html

http://topex-www.jpl.nasa.gov/science/jason1-quick-look/

i prefer to trust NOAA not someone wishing to bash BP

How cold, well could be 2c lower over the next few years

Last edited:
dont worry about it. The end of the world will come 21.12.2012. It is only 15 months.

21.02.2012, surely? Let's not create a false sense of security.

In any case, I'll have been cheated out of my Ice Age. "Consensus of scientists" agreed in the 1960's that the glaciers would be down to Hadrian's Wall by Year 2000, or 2010 at the latest, and probably down to London. Finland would be but a distant memory.

Either way, we're all doomed, Cap'n.

But certainly around here last winters colder temperatures than we have become used to have improved the situation for bees. The weaker colonies that have been struggling but surviving winter only to let drones from same fly in summer, mating with queens and perpetuating all the poor qualities wer wiped out, ie survival of the fittesed. Healthy bees can survive the cold but if it gets really cold I may put inserts in and revert to floors as they used to be when all winters were cold, its just a cycle.

Remember this is crude oil, a NATURAL product, that NATURALLY seeps from the earth all the time.

Not this lot. Small seepage was it?

I don't think the cold per se does any harm...

That did not worry me at all last winter. I did not need to feed any colonies. Will not worry me this winter either.

The long hot summers of my childhood with their flitting butterflies and buzzing insects seem almost a figment of my imagination.

Yep, far more birds, insects as I recall, too. I remember some nasty haymaking seasons as well, though.

I'll wait until I hear it from some other sources before I panic.

Panic will not change it one jot.

The end of the world will come 21.12.2012. It is only 15 months.

Don't go with those predictions - as we know it, more likely in about 2032 after we have a near-miss with an asteroid in about 2026 and it comes around again but unpredictably? There's still far more chance of a wider miss, than a strike.

We do rely on the Gulf stream for our maritime climate. I shall be watching carefully. Don't really know any credentials of the guy doing the checking.

Regards, RAB

You don't think your own skin at all?

We had hottest summer inside last 100 years.

Russians burned their forest as much as british isles has land area.

Last edited:
What do you think?

If this affects the gulf stream, then it could mean we have a permanent winter,all year round.

sorry no,

if the gulf stream fails then we would have continental weather like germany or russia, hot summers and very cold winters

the gulf stream moderates the extremes of our latitude

though scotland might become a barren cold waste land :party: you in devon would have misty cold winters and hotter dry summers with weather a bit liker newfoundland

Last edited:
though scotland might become a barren cold waste land

After this last summer I thought it was! Certainly looked like it on our 'heather picnic' today.

G.

sorry no,

if the gulf stream fails then we would have continental weather like germany or russia, hot summers and very cold winters

the gulf stream moderates the extremes of our latitude

though scotland might become a barren cold waste land :party: you in devon would have misty cold winters and hotter dry summers with weather a bit liker newfoundland

Okay MM.......i will assume you are a complete expert and know exactly what will happen if the gulf stream stops flowing completely.

Okay MM.......i will assume you are a complete expert and know exactly what will happen if the gulf stream stops flowing completely.

nay, just did my work experience at the met office in Dunstable (don't tell anyone but it was in 1960's ), like bee keeping it always stay with you ( i did that at school in the 1950's)

Devon is on the same latitude as newfoundland give or take a bit, and it does get very cold in winter, so you were half right bee-smillie

but waht worries me is it may be a cold summer next year ,not the winter, i'll just put a blanket over my landrover to keep it warm and a slab of poly on the hive roofs

Last edited:
Back