The colony is on death row

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBG

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Polystyrene & lots more next year again hopefully
Or the queen is.

They followed us to the vehicle today - not nice.

Then one went for me afterI had removed my suit.

It went for my eyes.

I trogged it, it followed me on the attack fifty yards away.

It tried to get in my ear, I blocked it with my finger and it fought with me to get inside!

As I tried to crush it in the outer, inner part of my ear, where it refused to leave, my wife tried to end the duel and the bitch stung me (not the wife!)

Made me a bit heady, uncertain if old sensitisation is gone but all well.

They were a bit defensive last time but manageable and we removed supercedure cell (middle of frame) gave to another hive (more problems?!)

These are a swarm from a hive that has never been opened up for past 6/7 years

So far no sign of varroa, though they're on full Langstroth brood and gaining with almost full super drawn out over three weeks.

We will requeen ASAP because aggression like this must be extinguished.

Any thoughts anyone please?

Last edited:
Or the queen is.

They followed us to the vehicle today - not nice.

Then one went for me afterI had removed my suit.

It went for my eyes.

I trogged it, it followed me on the attack fifty yards away.

It tried to get in my ear, I blocked it with my finger and it fought with me to get inside!

As I tried to crush it in the outer, inner part of my ear, my wife tried to end the duel and the bitch stung me (not the wife!)

Made me a bit heady, uncertain if old sensitisation is gone but all well.

They were a bit defensive last time but manageable and we removed supercedure cell (middle of frame) gave to another hive (more problems?!)

These are a swarm from a hive that has never been opened up for past 6/7 years.

So far no sign of varroa, though they're on full Langstroth brood and gaining with almost full super over three weeks.

We will requeen ASAP because aggression like this must be extinguished.

Dont blame the bees for being aggressive. If you have a hive that hasnt been inspected for 7 years there may be other factors to be aware of. Try moving the hive to a new location. You will be suprised how this can help bees aggression.

Dont blame the bees for being aggressive. If you have a hive that hasnt been inspected for 7 years there may be other factors to be aware of. Try moving the hive to a new location. You will be suprised how this can help bees aggression.

They're a SWARM from a hive that hasn't been inspected for years.

Odlly, Uncle was from your part of the world.

Ok the bees were from this area and not from your own apairy site. Are you sure you have a queen thats laying or do you have one laying drones and not properly mated. Some areas of Northants have been struggling to get queens to mate properly due to low number of drones in the area and poor weather a few weeks ago. Worth checking..

god that took a bit of working out. :party:

lol lol no just had to many pimms so having blond moments lol

speaking of which i should be drinking drambuie as its whisky and honey lol

I have a very aggressive swarm that sounds just like your colony which built several combs from the roof of a nuc. I will give them another two weeks by which time most of the swarm will of died out and see how they are. If they are still aggressive I have a plan to get them on to frames and then dispatch the queen and requeen them. If that fails then I'll move the nuc to one side and turn it 90', in its place put a strong colony with a narrow entrance and trap out the nuc.

Trap out video
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCpsukaudWM&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCpsukaudWM&feature=related[/ame]

?

why did you do that? do you know better than the bees, they wanted to supercede

do you still have eggs

Last edited:
Oh, i remember the day when i use to have agressive bees. Now after many years of selective breeding, the most of them are as gentle as lambs,regardless of wether they are queenlees or not,

why did you do that? do you know better than the bees, they wanted to supercede

do you still have eggs

Yes, a mistake I realise but new one would have been daughter with genes and she lays v well and still is.

Also needed Q for next door swarm but maybe should have ordered two Qs and be done with it.

Yes, a mistake I realise but new one would have been daughter with genes and she lays v well and still is.

Also needed Q for next door swarm but maybe should have ordered two Qs and be done with it.

The daughter would have had the half the mother's genes and half the drone's genes, so could come out very different from the mother. If they are still trying to supercede it could be an option worth trying- buying a queen is quicker of course.

Aye, that reminds me i need to inspect my hive from hell today :eek:

Latest posts

Back