The Chatroom?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Do you use it and if so when as on the odd occasion I pop in there is never anyone in.

PH

I have tried using it a few times, and succeeding in chatting with others twice, but on my 4-year-old PowerBook, it is horribly slow and more or less unusable so I've stopped trying.

FG

I have used it a few times, had some good conversations (and some smutty ones :)). Not many people use it, but when they do it is fun/informative and at least two other members saved some money on goods when a short notice offer became available.

So all in all, it has been a good experience.

Used it a few times as well, my two fingered slow typing dont help much, good chat though.

i use it when someone is in there, i also sit in the chatroom and wait if anyone wants to chat, but no one does :(

RoofTops,
that's a good idea - have a set time.

I guess it may not be perfect for the Colonials :) but what about we try 20.00 hrs for a bit? Even if only 10 or so users like the idea, at least there would be a much better chance of meeting up if there's a common time.

FG

RoofTops,
that's a good idea - have a set time.

I guess it may not be perfect for the Colonials :) but what about we try 20.00 hrs for a bit? Even if only 10 or so users like the idea, at least there would be a much better chance of meeting up if there's a common time.

FG
FWIW, The problem is similar to scheduled radio networks. There needs to be a little discipline, which means regular arranged days, times, punctuality and commitment.

Ideally it need at least two to get the ball rolling. Advertise - make a CHATROOM STATUS thread on the general beekeeping thread. Post there the proposed schedule and stick to it. The schedule can run over as long at it likes, but get into the habit of being there on time and communicating. Just before you go, post to the CHATROOM STATUS thread and advise that you will be there listening for the next 15 minutes. Update the thread/post when you leave the chat room. that way, people will see a log of the activity and be able to see not only when the proposed schedule was, but that you noted arriving and leaving.

None of this will guarantee you any takers, but will make you a target for would be chatters to home in on the chat room to join you. Make a few comments from time to time while you sit there waiting for the door to open.

Once you have two or more people regularly in the chatroom, be consistent. People, if they enjoy the experience will return habitually, but if whoever is one of the leading lights starts missing skeds, particularly without informing other regulars of a proposed absence or in retrospect an apology for your lateness or absence, then the habit becomes broken and people will drift. If you propose a special schedule for, say, 4pm on Christmas day, advertise it on the CHATROOM STATUS thread, in advance so people will know that you will be there. If you run a sked, use it or lose it.

I'm not a chatroom person personally, but the rules hold.
I'm sure that some of my sentiments regarding skeds will be endorsed by other radio amateurs, such as Victor Meldrew, JCBrum and SteveH. The latter two of which are probably in my radio near field.

Good luck, I will look out for the advertised sked and watch for the activity. :)

As RoofTops says, with a much larger community things can be a little more spontaneous.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back