Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 20, less than 100.
Extra space below the combs is great if you like the extra wax and comb extending that results, not good when running double brood. My hives are top bee space, a 9mm rim around the floor is more than ample.
My under hive entrance floors are designed differently and incorporate extra woodwork that acts as a baffle below the floor.

bontbee 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than before
As their 'entrance' / 'access' to the nest is more or less mid box I just wondered if brood would be biased towards the meshed area (greater ventilation) ? I guess around early springtime you might notice something although from what you have seen to date I doubt it.
Thank you to JBM for posting the diagrams and description.

I made several, years ago. I - and it seems the bees - get on very well with them. I make a slight variation: as I don't have a proper saw, and can't cut square to save me life, I get the timber cut to length by the timber merchant and put the floor of the entrance porch flush with the front of the side rails - making the floor of the entrance porch the full 4" width of the timber. In my Heath Robinson way of beekeeping, I also have "conventional" deep-entrance and home-made shallow-entrance floors. I haven't noticed any difference in nest configurations according to floor type. They just vary, as invariably as they did on solid floors. (I run my stocks the cool way...never sure if this makes any odds?).

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
As mentioned before I have the slot opening half way back and run the frames warm way. What I have noticed for winter preps Is the bees‘ brood is around the entrance with the outside frames full of stores

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
As mentioned before I have the slot opening half way back and run the frames warm way. What I have noticed for winter preps Is the bees‘ brood is around the entrance with the outside frames full of stores
That tends to be the way a horizontal hive works - entrance > brood > stores

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
That tends to be the way a horizontal hive works - entrance > brood > stores
It's the way they all work - brood and colony near the entrance, stores tucked away safely behind and above the cluster. It means the colony can protect the stores from robber without leaving the main cluster.

Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Extra space below the combs is great if you like the extra wax and comb extending that results, not good when running double brood. My hives are top bee space, a 9mm rim around the floor is more than ample.
My under hive entrance floors are designed differently and incorporate extra woodwork that acts as a baffle below the floor.
Interesting! Could a description/diagram be forthcoming?

Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The best VFM for mesh (galvanised woven) is CW Jones at the Welsh convention so I stock up then. I only use the woven stuff - never got along with the expanded stuff.
Best place I've found online is the Mesh Company - either on ebay or their own site, they do all sorts.
Don't get taken with the 'mites drop through' bunkum, OMF does very little in the battle against varroa, it was all just a 'pitch' to get everyone on to mesh floors, yes, some fall through but if alive, they climb back up (unless you have tall hive stands and keep the inspection tray where it belongs - in the shed) so only the dead fall through and stay out - but a solid floor would do that too.
Is there a simple reason I should choose woven (more expensive) over expanded?

hemo 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
I will have to modify the entrance on my UFE's, at an out apiary wasps aren't deterred. I have never before encountered a wasp issue even with std front entrances.
Wasps in the hive and in the top feeder, lots of debris and wings on the insert board, so need to modify entrance. Either reduce the slit or modify some to tunnel entrances.

Last edited:

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Is there a simple reason I should choose woven (more expensive) over expanded?
I once found a box of stored comb full of wasps and it was the expanded mesh they were getting through.

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Sorry ..... eyes.

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Not too taken on the design of the supposed 'better' one, what a faff that would be to close up.

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
That was my thought for transportation!

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I thought yours still have the front lobby, only deeper with the entrance into the hive set further back? This one had no front porch, the bees have to fly under the floor and stand presumably to gain access to the entrance. With that area of mesh at the front, where the brood will situated, I'd imagine a distinct possibility that bees will end up clustered below it.

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
I thought yours still have the front lobby, only deeper with the entrance into the hive set further back? This one had no front porch, the bees have to fly under the floor and stand presumably to gain access to the entrance. With that area of mesh at the front, where the brood will situated, I'd imagine a distinct possibility that bees will end up clustered below it.
Yes Dani would need a bloody great sponge to plug up the gap Lawrence had on the base of his last floors 😄

Anduril 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
20+
The foam would be the same size as his other floors, the one thing you may not be able to see is bearding through the plastic pallet and then having to lift the hive with one hand and hold it at an angle, while pushing the foam up and around. While in transit and the foam was to work loose, the bees wouldn't be able to escape as long as your transport platform is flat.

Latest posts