The British Bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David P

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
7- 2 poly langs the other in process of changing
I was given a bee book recently (my family have learnt now if they dont know what to give me for myy Birthday that a bee book will do nicely)
Unfortunately its quite americanised, though that was one of the things i found interesting.
The Americans though we know put quite a few dollars into bee research, and i found their thoughts on our own A.M.M interesting

" A.m.mellifera L is the old German brown or black bee that was a global standard until the early part of this century. Relativly large, the brown bee is short tongued, nervous on the comb, and a creatureof ocean moderated climates, thus a slow spring starter. It was well suited to collecting the thick, wild heather honey, the production of whichis greatly diminished in agricultural areas of Europe, but proved to be highly susceptibleto disease. The brown bee is not as productive, manageable, or hardy as other strains., and you wouldn't want to buy this one if you could. Some brown bees continue to be kept, and they exist in the wild throughout the world"

So as a novice would our panel of experts think that this is a fair comment or an unfair slander.

David

I will return to this but heather honey never was found in agricultural areas.

Heather per see grows on the hills there yonder...

PH

You mean everyone in uk doesnt live in a hut and grow heather commercially to sell in lucky charms, our american freinds will be dissappointed :D

If I was not keeping Native AMM in my past life then I know utterly nothing. Mind you some say that's true anyway. ;)

PH

Latest posts

Back