The best place to buy frames and foundation.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannaBkeeper

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Where do you buy your frames and foundation?

I need to buy some new F&F, obviously quality and price are big a factor so i just wondered where do experienced beeks buy from.

Dave

Where do you buy your frames and foundation?

I need to buy some new F&F, obviously quality and price are big a factor so i just wondered where do experienced beeks buy from.

Dave

i buy thornes second quality Frames in their on line January sale (possible starts this year dec 29th for VAT reason).. they are just over half to two thirds catalogue price of first grade. they also do a september store sale ( more like a twickenham scrum) and Stoneliegh April sale

but saying that at stoneleigh beekeeping supplies were cheeper on special offer

Foundation KBS of Hastings better and cheeper than £hornes ( deeper pressed)

Park bees of blackheath also stock KBS

i buy thornes second quality Frames in their on line January sale (possible starts this year dec 29th for VAT reason).. they are just over half to two thirds catalogue price of first grade.

last years prices which compares to £45 for 50 SN1/DN1 in current catalogue

Frames - in 50's - second quality which means a few small knots, maybe a bit of discolouration or small spilt but perfectly serviceable.
DN1 or SN1 25.00
DN4 or SN4 30.50
DN5 or SN5 35.00
BS. Manley 35.00
14" x 12" 40.00
16" x 10" 35.00
Langstroth Manley 35.00
Dadant Shallow 35.00
Cedar Hive Parts in the flat - in utility grade cedar which also means a few small live knots, maybe a bit of discolouration or small split but perfectly serviceable.
National Open Mesh Floor 13.50
National Roof 19.00
National Brood Body 18.50 each 10 for 172.00
National Super 13.50 each 10 for 125.00
National Crownboard with two escapes 8.00
National 14" x 12" Brood Body 28.00
We also have
Langstroth, Dadant or WBC Plastic Excluder 2.50
Open Mesh Helmet 7.00
2 Frame Plastic Extractor 100.00
100 Narrow Plastic Ends 3.00
Beekeepers perch 1.00
Hive Tool 6.00
Galvanised Mesh, 12" square 50p
Mixed Coloured Candle Sheets, pack 10, mainly dark colours with some missing corners, small splits 3.50
Frame Cleaner 2.00
20 Plastic Porter Bee Escapes 10.00

I have heard a rumour that due to the move and the bees on a budget kits the sales may not happen this year.

Bear in mind that catalogue prices are ex-VAT and the sales prices quoted were VAT incl., so the price differential was somewhat greater than one might think at first glance.

Not all seviceable - I lose about 2% (it may have been more this last year) due to cross-grain timber at the lugs, or knots overly weakening the structure.

Regards, RAB

Wannabee - join LBKA then you can use their shop at Temple Newsam - open Weds eves. Stuff sold at discount on Thornes price.

Wannabee - join LBKA then you can use their shop at Temple Newsam - open Weds eves. Stuff sold at discount on Thornes price.

joolsp

I am already a member of Idle bka and Yorkshire bka, i will contact our secretary and see if we have a shop.

Thanks for the info.

Dave

We made a weekend of it and went to a lovely beekeeping supplier in North Wales (Ruthin). Ruthin is a nice place to wander around, eat etc. supplier cheap and helpful.....go on spoil yourself and call it helping the bees out :)

We have a local problem with foundation. Our supplier gets it made locally- this year the 14x12 foundation has barely met both sides and only just touched the bottom bar with the wire bending under to clamp. They say the hot weather caused them problems when producing- I think they are skimping. At £12.63 - I expect better

Only one foundation supplier worth bothering with and consistently good product which the bees like.

Bought from him for over 20 years and one of my old mentors sent all his wax to be made into foundation by him as the best he could find. A Bee farmer now running some 700 boxes so he must be pleased too.

KBS.

PH

Heather is writing about Wynne Jones - see this link http://www.beesupplies.co.uk/index.html. Lovely family business and always helpful. Practically all Thornes stuff - second in Dec/Jan at discounts. Also do bottle and jars and will post if required.

We have a local problem with foundation. Our supplier gets it made locally- this year the 14x12 foundation has barely met both sides and only just touched the bottom bar with the wire bending under to clamp. They say the hot weather caused them problems when producing- I think they are skimping. At £12.63 - I expect better

Another very good source for frames, boxes etc etc is Brian Norris Beekeeping, Little Garth, Garth Lane, Bettws, Newtown, Powys SY16 3LN. Tel: Newtown 01686 -625250. He makes good quality stuff in his own workshop in the middle of nowhere and is presently using mainly cedar (not for frames). Bought some frames from him recently, all handpicked to avoid bent/warped, knots, etc which he uses on his own hives, and much cheaper than anybody else anywhere. Better if you visit as he can do special deals.

PH
Totally agree KBS is consistenly the best foundation I have seen and the bees draw it faster, thanks HM for the recommendation
Kev

Latest posts

Back