The best day ever :)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
I have just come back from putting the bees on the project site, and it was amazing. We built the hive, and then Paul brought the box of bees out. When he opened the box and they all exploded out, I must admit I felt a bit ill.....I think I said something along the lines of " you are having a laugh " while trying to back off as far as I could lol.

After a few seconds though, they calmed down and I was able to pick up the frames and transfer them into the hive. I was a bit nervous about doing the first one, but after that I just got on with it. There were 3 of us doing it, all beginners, and we were so proud of ourselves afterwards. Pauls wife videoed the whole thing, and we were interviewed after with the aim of putting it on his site. I hate having my pic taken, so probably made a prat of myself on film, I can't remember. We all left the girls to settle in on a high, I would say we were buzzing but I am sure that has been done to death, but I can't think of any other way to describe how we felt. :smilielol5:

I will add the link later for all of you who have been following my journey and supporting me so much. I want to go back and watch them, but I've got so much to do today.

Karen :D

Thank you Blue.....your smilie looks like what we were like after we'd done it lol

And so your journey begins......enjoy them and savour the excitement of being a new beekeeper, a lovely feeling

Congrats and welcome to the 'active' list.

I am sure there are some new EC rules to control EFB / AFB control that say each bee must be photographed and antenae tagged when setting up a new apiary. How did that go?

:biggrinjester:

Thank you Roy, it really is exciting. I can't believe 3 weeks ago, I would run screaming from the house if a bee flew in. How things have changed :) I know this will be something I will be doing for the rest of my life.

Congrats and welcome to the 'active' list.

I am sure there are some new EC rules to control EFB / AFB control that say each bee must be photographed and antenae tagged when setting up a new apiary. How did that go?

:biggrinjester:

lol, is that one of those, get some tartan paint type initiation jokes?

You just made me realise, I am now an active bee keeper :D It still hasn't sunk in lol, thanks for the welcome

Actually Rosti is a little out of date. The new EU rules state that they have to be individually microchipped and weighed. Welcome to the addictive craft of beekeeping.

Actually Rosti is a little out of date. The new EU rules state that they have to be individually microchipped and weighed. Welcome to the addictive craft of beekeeping.

Is that before or after you've squeezed the honey out?

Congrats on your bees Kaz, it's a great feeling.

Ian

can anybody recommend the best type of scales for the job ;) I would have a job and a half noting all the microchip numbers down....right girls, get in a line lol

Excellent, very happy for you. After five months keeping I'm still getting glazed looks from the missus and my mates as I dissapear to watch them flying in and out, but I suspect it will be a while before you tire of them, if ever.

I just want to go over and watch them....it was so interesting seeing them come out a little, get used to their new surroundings, then nip back in. I want to watch them get further and further each time. It's something they won't do again, unless they get moved again that is.

can anybody recommend the best type of scales for the job ;) I would have a job and a half noting all the microchip numbers down....right girls, get in a line lol

exactly, that is why they stuck with the antenae tags, very clear EU 245/2010 page 46, para 3 I think.

;)

oh well, I don't have that edition so i'll just have to pretend I haven't read it ;) plead ignorance lol

I think you should change your status from carer to keeper, the bees don't know you are a carer!

WELL DONE KAREN !!

Wait until you taste your first bit of Honey,it will be the best honey you ever tasted :cheers2:

Remember to pop your hive tool into a frame with stores for a sample on your next visit..

WELL DONE KAREN !!

Wait until you taste your first bit of Honey,it will be the best honey you ever tasted :cheers2:

Remember to pop your hive tool into a frame with stores for a sample on your next visit..

and when you've got your first 60/70 jars sat on the kitchen table, sealed and labeled you'll be bursting with pride.........

followed by amazement that people will actually give you money, and lots of it for those jars :party:

Nice one, Kaz. Good luck with them.

Keep us informed of your adventures . . .

FG

Latest posts

Back