Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The BBKA and Pesticide Endorsement
I hear that this topic will be on the agenda for discussion at the ADM in January 2010. Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

For me, it is a simple question of ethics. Not a scientific or technical one, as there is insufficient evidence to come to any absolute conclusion regarding the danger of the various products to bees. The question I beg is the ethical proposition “should the BBKA endorse these products for money?” My answer is no.

Of course the BBKA should continue to be in dialogue with manufacturers of products that impact the welfare of bees. That does not mean that the BBKA needs to endorse the products, or be paid money to endorse them.

The acceptance of such payment obscures the motives of the BBKA, and the BBKA should be, and should be seen to be, absolutely transparent in its actions.

If we want the BBKA to protect bees, unite beekeepers, and continue to grow, then this divisive policy must cease. Make sure your association delegate knows what you think, before it is bought up for discussion, and they vote on your behalf in January.

David Ramsden

Chris B 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Thanks David,

I would only add that pesticide endorsement also damages the BBKA "brand" and therefore represents other lost financial opportunities, so even the most mercenary-minded should be able to see it's a bad idea.

Have the resolutions been published then?

Chris

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi Chris,

Posted on the other website last night, members area.

Regards,

David

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The BBKA dont endorse any chemical products!

Its BBKA enterprises that carry the endorsement.

Pesticides are so last year as a money grabber,the new kid on the block is "POLLINATION" the BBKA try to use the word at least 3 times in every press release in the hope they will get some of the goverment funding.

m100 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Enough
Posted on the other website last night, members area.
But still not that easy to find with their hopeless menus and the habit of changing usernames and passwords yet still telling people 'they are on the back of the membership card' they aren't, they are on the bottom of the side bar on the front of BBKA News.

http://tinyurl.com/BBKA2010ADM

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
"Make sure your association delegate knows what you think" is unfortunately in my experience about as effective as tapping a member of the Stasi on the shoulder, and asking them to release the political prisoners. As many people will attest, they have made their views known to the local delegate, who knows full well the vast majority are against the scurrilous liaison continuing will then proceed to vote "for".
I tried reasoning with someone who is now the local chairman, and was greeted with a tirade that boiled down to "you are a pea-brain who knows nothing, join the BBKA, shut up, and toe the line"...... needless to say I didn't, and won't until this appalling travesty is righted, and ALL of those "officers" responsible, from the"executive", right down to the "local enforcers" are ejected in disgrace..........

Latest posts