The Barefoot Beekeeper & not using smoke?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sometimes its fine not using smoke but there are occasions when the bees can go completely bananas.I forgot my smoker last week at an out apiary and one of the hives which is normally quite calm was hyper aggressive,my trousers and top were covered in stings,really needed the smoker on that occasion

Well I have been using Olbas Oil for three weeks and not one sting on my hands - a record.

Today went to Association Apiary in Leek and was "privileged" to assist opening a Q- hive which had been requeened last week - to look for eggs. 8 stings on my cuffs and my fingers later - none on the back of my hands where the Olbas Oil was - one on my neck - a crawler up through my jacket (the elastic needs to be replaced) and one bee caught half way up, one sting on my legs.. I gave up and put on my Marigolds...

Conclusion: really bad bees will sting you whatever you wear...

Our Chairman swears by Avon Skin So Soft handcream *: he's been using it for three weeks... It was he who suggested we look at the Q- hive :)

*http://www.goodguide.com/products/266208-avon-skin-so-soft

Edit: No sign of queen or eggs...

Last edited:
I agree. So why do all the beekeeping books insist on choking the bees with smoke. New Forest pony dung if you have to use your smoker. Organic grass and no odour! Very cool smoke.

Latest posts

Back