The Archers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was working in my garage yesterday and heard an episode of The Archers and had a right laugh. The storyline:

Grandma has bees and grandson looks after them.
Grandson lost a swarm. Grandma upset.
Grandson told to find the swarm and he hunts round the village. No luck.
Grandma VERY upset.
Next day a farm worker finds the swarm when removing cover from baler. Gets stung twice as the bees fly out.
Grandson called in.
He takes a box and "finds the queen and a few scouts", places them in the box and all the bees dutifully follow suit.
Grandma delighted and feeds him a special meal.

That was the work of the agricultural editor who no doubt is on mega bucks....

Now you've spoiled it for me!:nono::nono:

My late Aunt was convinced it was based on a real village and the events they described were 'real' and just dramatised.. she never missed an episode in thirty years to my knowledge. When it started to get a bit 'racy' (as she described it) a few years ago she actually wrote to the BBC telling them that she didn't approve of 'these goings on' in the village and they did not need to report them. ...

She would not accept that it was all just fiction ...

He takes a box and "finds the queen and a few scouts", places them in the box and all the bees dutifully follow suit.

I was extracting when The Archers came on and wasn't fast enough with the off switch; what I heard was even worse: if I put a few scouts in the box the rest will follow.

A bit of poetic licence is fine, half the people who call me wanting bees removed from inconvenient places seem to expect the pied piper to turn up and magic the bees away for them in a special show I'm only to glad to let the privileged people witness because their lives are so special, or something.

It’s ok there getting advice from a bbka board member;)

Latest posts

Back