The 30lb Honey Bucket

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midland Beek

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
You get different ones of these, but how do you know when you have got 30lb of honey in one? I'm using Berolina (Turkey) ones from Thornes.

You think they would come with a note, like 'Fill to 3cm from top for approx 30lbs'.

Weigh the bucket empty......then wiegh it as you fill to 30lb...then put mark on bucket...or depth guide from top.

MB,

Get a 1lb honey jar, fill it with water and then empty the jar into the bucket.

Repeat another 29 times.

Draw a line on the bucket at the water line.

Empty bucket onto the garden, there's a hosepipe ban.

Ian

MB,

Repeat another 29 times.

Ian

Last edited:
how do you know when you have got 30lb of honey in one?

Does it really matter? Unless you are marketing those buckets. In which case you needthe use of some fairly large trading standard' scales for checking!

I use a set of Salter baby scales. Will do 16kg, I think (marked as 15kg but have the 1kg slider after the 15kg on the big slider). Well good enough for me.

But, back to the question; what is the point, if one has too 'squeeze in' the last of the honey, to get the deired weight? One is likely to need another bucket anyway.......

RAB

MB,

Repeat another 29 times.

Ian

a 1 lb jar of honey holds 300ml (thats 300 grames of water) and that volume weighs a 1lb ( 454 grams) if it is honey

therefore to get the wieght of honey. weight the buckect empty, fill with water and reweigh....remove or add water until the weight of water ~( ie excluding the bucket weight) is 30x300 grams---mark the level, that leval with be the 30lb mark if fill with honey

( why that way, at my age i can't count up to 29 :biggrinjester:)

the weight of honey that any container will hold, can be calcluated this way, just dived the weight of water it holds in grams ( or volume in cubic centimetre) by 300 and that the number of 1lbs of honey it will hold

Last edited:
I used my luggage scales to give me an idea what i had in each bucket.

You can get them off fleabay for about £7.

Darren.

MB,

Repeat another 29 times.

Ian

:biggrinjester:

You should be filling them to the top regardless of volume, to minimise the amount of air in them.

Thus even if it holds 32lbs, it's irrelevent. You shouldn't be aiming to fill them to a weight, you should be aiming to fill them completely.

Adam

The 30lb buckets I use have a line internally and if you fill to this line then it is near enough 30lb (+-). If I fill them as much as I can, then it is nearer 33lb.

Unless you are selling them as 30lb buckets, I would not worry about the weight, just use them as a rough guide as to the quantity you have in stock i.e. how many jars will I need when it comes to jarring up.

Latest posts

Back