That's the end of the wasps.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Yesterday I saw queen's in our loft getting ready for winter.
Also had workers on the side of a few hives which were just falling of when you touched them.
Apiarys on the hills I might add. The bees were foraging yesterday ivy and gorse while the wasps were looking onIMG_20211001_151856.jpg

Don’t count your chickens it normally takes a few frosts to end the wasps around me. They’ve been minimal this season but will cling on well into November some years.

Well I still had one buzzing around me this morning when I just went out for a walk with the dogs. We don't get too many as a rule, but they are often around for a while .

Not many here this year

Seen very few this season but had one or two in the kitchen in the last couple of days ... presumably seeking sugar and glad to get out of the rain. Sadly, they went back out into the rain ......alive mind you - could not bring myself to kill them. Workers not queens ...

Topped up some feeders this morning in the rain and the only thing flying was wasps. Hadn't noticed them before at the apiary.
My shed at home full of wet supers is a very different story, worst year for wasps until this week when they seem to have disappeared.

Plenty of wasps at the home apiary on ivy and still trying their luck with the hives. Also still trying to get in the house as we have not finished extracting yet and mixing syrup for feeds.

A good year with no wasps is generally followed by a bad year with loads as the local wasp colonies realise there is territory for the taking! If you had none this year be prepared for next year!

Loads here.
Removed one from bedroom this am.

Few wasps around here this year until the last couple of days of September, then a viscious inundation. Worst affected was one of my stronger colonies, but having put baffles on the entrances, the wasps seem to have backed off. Those hives with underfloor entrances were markedly less affected, so I need to knock out a few more UFEs over the winter.

Don’t count your chickens it normally takes a few frosts to end the wasps around me. They’ve been minimal this season but will cling on well into November some years.

Often, I would say. January has been the month in the not too recent past.

Latest posts

Back