Thar She Blows!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've had a nuc box with a QC and a couple of frames of bees for the last couple of weeks, result of a swarm and lots of QCs available. I went in the nuc to see if she had hatched this afternoon and an enormous queen came zipping out straight toward my face (yes my beesuit was on). Thats great, thought I, lost my first virgin queen. She buzzed me for about two minutes (seemed like an age) then flew back in to the nuc box. Stout Party breathes sigh of relief.:redface:

If you think there is a virgin queen in there then only open up in the evening or early morning. If she had been on a mating flight, and it is likely she was preparing to go, or at least thinking about it, at the time you opened up, then there was every chance she would have been lost had she returned while you were poking around in the nuc as the whole hive would have looked very different. A lucky escape!

Apart from the imformation Rooftops gives, there is also a risk of the bee's balling and killing there own queen if she returns while your looking through them in the middle of a nice day, when she could be making mating flights,strange animals bee's.

Latest posts

Back