Thanks to the Forum

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandtpoultry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After my first season last year and starting so late and with such a dire winter I opened my Beehaus with nothing but dread this morning but hey ho the colony was huge and chopming on fondant well :)

I would like to thank the forum for your advise and of course Pete aka hivemaker as my private guru.

Now all I need this year is honey :) none last year because I started way too late but they have survived so far and looking so so strong, i trully was not expecting to see so many bees, i thought they died back a bit over winter but to me it seems as strong as when I stopped looking last season.

I will leave them bee lol until the weather warms up a bit but well chuffed today :)

Isn't it great to see them alive and well- like a secret little world.
And just shows how helpful it is to have a mentor... saves many a sleepless night...
Big thanks to all who mentor... :hurray:

Well done but don't relax too early! The real danger period for colony starvation starts about now or very soon. The queen starts to lay more and more and the colony needs food - which may not be available due to location of the apiary or the weather. My advise would be to keep an eye on that fondant and don't let it run out.

With my poly hives I can readily check their weight but I suspect that takes more experience with a BeeHaus?

i thought they died back a bit over winter

Yes they do, but hopefully only 'a bit' as you say - not a lot.

If the bees going into winter are healthy I would expect the vast majority to get through - given good conditions in the hive over the winter. BUT, those bees will start to age and die off in ever greater numbers, until most are gone in the earl-mid spring.

By then there should be copious new brood and emerged bees so the 'dip' in population is not too severe. The rest of those winter bees will also be dead shortly after but by then the colony should be expanding rapidly.

That is when starvation problems are more likely - fewer foragers, lots of larvae to service and no forage due to the weather is a good combination for trouble.

Regards, RAB

Thanks again for the extra advice, sorry I cant guess the weight of the colony with the beehaus as it is anchored down since it blew over last time we had such wind.

I think I have overdone it but I have 20kg of fondant left in stock for them as they start to wake up and increase the brood but I will have a watch on regular basis to ensure they do not run out.

I over did it a bit on fondant stock of course but it does not go off :) but just wanted my first winter to be safe as I understand their needs, just hope they dont get overweight and skive off to macdonalds lol

Looking forward to building frames this weekend as i get 2 more hives ready for new colonies in April, it is addictive but I think i will be stopping at 3 or we will be taking over the sheep, pigs or chickens land. No hive will survive rubbing pigs or sheep :)

Latest posts

Back