Thanks everyone :-)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
I went down today, and with the help of beehive lodge, managed to block to my satisfaction. Of course, when we got there, they were back to being pussycats and there were only a handful of bees actually at the entrance. He gave me the support i needed, and manged to block the entrance properly.

As we were walking away, we stopped to talk, and low and behold, noticed lots of wasps buzzing about going into the roof of the bike sheds. Ah ha, found the nest. It needs getting rid of soon as the kids go back in under two weeks. No way I am attempting to do THAT! Solution to some of my wasp troubles anyhow.

I just want to thank you all for your support, you are all brill. :party:

Kazzmc go to wilkinsons a can of wasp killer spray the nest (in your bee suit if worried) then walk away next day all dead.

I will have to be careful as they are on the school premises and there will be laws and things against what you can use......you can believe it :( I've informed the head just now, sent her an email. I see the caretaker a lot, so I'll tell him too.

Hooray, well done, phew for you. Quite a milestone for you I think. The next time will be easier. :)

Well done you :))). Knew you could do it :).

Wish we could find ours! After losing two nucs whilst away it's taken a week to deal with the pandemonium. Put three traps out in a triangle near one of our sets of hives last evening....the wasps MADE their flippin' nest by rasping the cedar from the newest brood box (ggrrrrrr).

Results after 24 hours:

2 plastic bottle traps: old plum jam/vinegar/water/1 drop washing up liquid....a few in each.

1 beer bottle trap removed from further up the field and emptied of the stinking contents and hastily refilled with the same mix as above......386 German wasps. All the hives seem a bit happier now and going to dump in some 2:1 tomorrow (hoping to sweeten them all up for hopefully inspections next week).

I went down today, and with the help of beehive lodge, managed to block to my satisfaction. Of course, when we got there, they were back to being pussycats and there were only a handful of bees actually at the entrance. He gave me the support i needed, and manged to block the entrance properly.

As we were walking away, we stopped to talk, and low and behold, noticed lots of wasps buzzing about going into the roof of the bike sheds. Ah ha, found the nest. It needs getting rid of soon as the kids go back in under two weeks. No way I am attempting to do THAT! Solution to some of my wasp troubles anyhow.

I just want to thank you all for your support, you are all brill. :party:
Hi I was away for a couple of days , saw wasps and thought of you how mad is that !!!
Glad you have sorted it, I find you a breath of fresh air on here :party:
Grub

Hi I was away for a couple of days , saw wasps and thought of you how mad is that !!!
Glad you have sorted it, I find you a breath of fresh air on here :party:
Grub

:blush5: Thank you Grub, gone all shy now :laughing-smiley-004

well done. new yuo would do it,hope this is massive boost for your confidence.

Well done! BTW, If you spray the wasps, definately wear your suit. I once sprayed a wasps nest, before I was a beek, and they got well mad. Stings everywhere they could find skin!

Kaz, if you're treating the nest do it as late as you can and still see the nest- wasps go to bed late. I find the rentokil squirty foam good- you can squirt from several feet away. Start at the base- that's where the entrance is. Then cover the whole thing in foam. Leave until cooked (24 hours to be sure?) then remove and bin. Wear your suit while you do it, and enjoy the fact that the boot is now on the other foot.

You can abuse them in an 'Arnie' accent if it helps.:smash:

lol, I don't have the authority to kill them. They are in the school premises. The nest isn't visable, just a bit of the roof ( it's about 4 square wooden boards covering the bike sheds ) opened at one corner and loads of wasps going in and out. I hope it hasn't fallen due to the weight of the nest :ack2: Being the parent who runs Gardening Club, I underatand now there are certain rules as to what substances you can use in a school. I have met the new caretaker a few times and he's a good bloke it seems, I'm sure he'll be given the job. He's not a beek, so he'll probably get the proffesionals in. I don't think I'm THAT ready yet lol. Yuck, I can't stand wasps, they terrify me, even the look of them. :eek:

Latest posts

Back