Thanks and a bit about TBH's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaztafari

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Good evening to you all....I would like to say a huge thank you to all the people who welcomed me to the Forum. I have made a new thread to say this as I didn't want to attach it to my 'introduction' thread for fear of it not been seen by as many people.
With all the feedback I got concerning buying Bees I feel confident that I will secure at least one Nuc from somebody. I feel really excited at the thought of that:hurray:
I managed to rescue a load of wood today that was destined for the skip and have an idea to build two Top Bar Hives and maybe try them as bait hives until I get my first nuc. I have read that it's best to use wood that has already been used for hives along with old comb? Any one had any success luring colonies with new, as in not been used around Bees, wood?

Good evening to you all.... I have read that it's best to use wood that has already been used for hives along with old comb? Any one had any success luring colonies with new, as in not been used around Bees, wood?

welcome Gaztafari

i am out this afternoon puting out bait hives once i have opened up my main hive

bees pheromes in the old comb attracts the swarm but you can mimick this with lemon Grass oil and geranium oil, i dislike using old comb in case it is contaminated)

either use essential oils or rub lemon grass and geranium leaves on the inside of the hive (note Geraniums not pelogoniums ), i alos mix up melted foundation beeswax with lemon grass oil and coat the inside of the hive

if you have top bars, coat the underside in beeswax ( i think as not aT BH man)

Hi MuswellMetro and thanks for your comments. I had heard about Lemon Grass oil but didn't know you could mix it with Bees wax and coat the inside of the hive. I have been given a 1lb of old wax and have already coated my National hive with wax and Linseed oil, so I'll use some to do what you suggest in the TBH. I'll post my results on the forum.
Have you had much success in the past with bait hives, and if so, which technique had the best results?

Thanks Naked BKeeper and Mike a, am sending for 'The Barefoot Beekeper' after watching some of his vids. I really like his attitude

Latest posts

Back