Test frame question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
What is the best way to transfer a test frame 23 miles?

I only have the one hive at home (was hoping to split this year) and my other is 23 miles away at my parents and i need to get a test frame because i have a drone laying worker at the moment with no queen. :(

Oh and i dont have a nuc box to put it in. I was hoping to get a new one from my assoc but not enough takers for a bulk buy. :(

Suitable sized cardboard box and a damp towel. Eggs are relatively resilient, larva much less so...so a frame of eggs obviously preferable. But on a hot day you'll probably get fried eggs at a guess :/, but if you've no choice....

I was told to do it by wrapping in a warm slightly damp towel but this has been mentioned be for on the forum and it is as I understand this time of year providing you have eggs then just take the frame to the other hive as the eggs are more robust.
Personally I think try and keep the frame a reasonably constant temp similar to the hive.

Just try not to let the frame dry out.

Its just as important to maintain moisture as it is to keep it warm.

A warm damp towel will do fine. At the end of the day there may be hundreds of larvae and eggs on the frame. You ONLY need one that is viable.

I have used a graft before now as a "test frame" and yes they were q- LOL

PH

Use a cool box (depends if yours is big enough) plus 2 x old pop bottles that fitted lying down, filled with water at body temp and plenty of towels. Gaffa tape lid over and seal. Should be OK for 23 miles, certainly worked for 14.

Blimey seems like a lot of palava, damp bar towel or the like and then shove it in a plastic bag or loosely wrapped in cling film........just keep it out of direct sunlight so it doesnt fry..... simple :coolgleamA:

Latest posts

Back