Temp for OSR to Produce nectar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

What temp does OSR need to produce nectar?

it Is producing nectar below this temperature just less. I have hives on flowering OSR that have half a super full off nectar yesterday, that looks & smells like OSR. dont think local air temperature has been above 13 for last week, and we’ve has overnight frosts

I have hives on osr past week now there bearly bringing in enough stores to keep themselves going never mind a surplus, in full flower now but its been so cold this spring

You can see the nectar droplets in flowers, but if temp is 18C and wind, bees cannot get much honey. If flying weather rises over 20C, bees really get a good catch from flowers in one day.

One secret is that when day temp rises to 18C, that temp is only couple of hours there and bees do not have much time to work.

But you see The result, when blooming is over.

Get a balance under the hive and you see what really happens day by day. Bad thing is that the balance stops your dreaming.

Reactions: mbc
Just cleared 48 supers from the apiaries near osr as petal fall is occurring, I don't think I'll get a dozen 30lb buckets from the lot of em 😪 but it needs spinning out as what is there is setting in the comb.

Just cleared 48 supers from the apiaries near osr as petal fall is occurring, I don't think I'll get a dozen 30lb buckets from the lot of em 😪 but it needs spinning out as what is there is setting in the comb.
I hope I've got another week or so before I need to take the OSR supers off. certainly not very good. hows the water content looking? I'm not getting a lot of capping going on, but mostly passes the shake test in the apiaries.

I hope I've got another week or so before I need to take the OSR supers off. certainly not very good. hows the water content looking? I'm not getting a lot of capping going on, but mostly passes the shake test in the apiaries.
I'm just bundling it through the extractor whatever, testing the most watery stuff at the top of the buckets it's coming off at about 20%, it'll be fine left in the room lids off with the dehumidifier going until set.
Mostly not capped either- some combs coming out a bit too heavy for my liking, but put back on in the June gap and it'll feature in the honey crop later anyway.

Latest posts

Back