Telling People You Keep Bees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
I have found that when people find out I keep bees they either say,

A:- Aren't bees suffering from a desease?

B:- Do you get any honey from them?

C:- I'm allergic to bees.

D:- How many in a hive then?

What questions do you get?

Do you sell honey? Or give it away?

I have found that when people find out I keep bees they either say,

A:- Aren't bees suffering from a desease?

B:- Do you get any honey from them?

C:- I'm allergic to bees.

D:- How many in a hive then?

What questions do you get?

E:- How many hives do you have? How many hives do you have? How many hives do you have? ...

Oh, wait - that was here!

My biggest and number one question

DO YOU GET STUNG?

First question I get is 'Where do you keep them ?' Followed closely by 'Don't you get stung ?'

Then a variety of the questions above ... certainly a regular one relates to 'Aren't bees in trouble at present'.

I did a day at Open Farm Sunday on the association's stand and I was amazed at a) how interested people are about bees and b) How little they really know about them.

I tend to get two kinds of responses:

The first is any variation on the "Hey, tell me more" theme.

The second is 'that look' which places me amongst train-spotters and stamp-collectors.

LJ

My wife's been telling people at work that we have bees and they are in our garden. She just gets asked how she feels not being able to go into the garden anymore.
When I told my family I was getting into bee keeping they just asked "what's the point? they're just going to die anyway because of the new bee disease."

I usually get people offering their garden/land for hives.

Pesticides is another that is regularly brought up.

My wife's been telling people at work that we have bees and they are in our garden. She just gets asked how she feels not being able to go into the garden anymore.
When I told my family I was getting into bee keeping they just asked "what's the point? they're just going to die anyway because of the new bee disease."

Usually they sound interested and say 'they need all the help they can get' - then they ask if we ever have honey for sale!
Often they stop at the gate and say -'do you need any bees? We've a load in the roof/chimney' etc.

I get:-

-Aren't you scared?
-What about that bug that's wiping them out?
-Are you strong enough/ tall enough/similar...

Do bees leave yellow spots on cars and washing........

get second apiary site ready......

"Dont you get stung" is definately the most common one for me... Usually followed by "doesnt it hurt"

Latest posts

Back