Tell me more about the Buckfast bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps that's because you keep them warm and draught free ?

:) :) what upsets them is when they are warm and cosy and you lift the lid up in less than warm conditions - (but even then, compared with what people on the forum describe as bad tempered, they are pussy cats)

So many glowing reports makes me want some too lol
Nearest I got was a buckfast cross imported originally from Greece and then from supplier to me.
Very large colony, very very large lol but they turned aggressive and I took quite a beating lol
Sam

Last edited:
:) :) what upsets them is when they are warm and cosy and you lift the lid up in less than warm conditions - (but even then, compared with what people on the forum describe as bad tempered, they are pussy cats)
We keep a sheet of strong clear plastic on top of the frames and allow the bees 5 sec to get used to the light after roof and solid cover have been removed. When the plastic has been pealed back you will see some bees between the frames still look at you and then dive down to keep the brood warm. Even in light rain we hardly ever see a bee fly up.

Regards
Reiner
(14 years of Buckfast beekeeping in the North-West of Ireland)

I had two queens from HM last year. Very gentle bees, hardly moving when you open them up. Neither colonies made any swarm preps this year. 14 x 12 plus a shallow full of bees this summer and 100lbs of honey from each which I think is good considering my location.

So many glowing reports makes me want some too lol
Nearest I got was a buckfast cross imported originally from Greece and then from supplier to me.
Very large colony, very very large lol but they turned aggressive and I took quite a beating lol
Sam

The same supplier for the queen I have and from my earlier post they do have that side to them that if all is not right with them they can be a bit grumpy and as a result would not want to raise a queen from her just to be on the safe side.

We will all get bad grumpy hives from time to time and for me it was my 2nd year not a buckfast but a carniolan I got beaten up big time with that hive and a great and frightening experience. Looking back my inexperience made the situation worse and as much as I don’t want to go through it again I bet if I had to I hope it won’t be as bad.

I understand that the bucfast queens from hivemaker are great and no problem with subsequent queens but they will be big hives and experience helps with that.

I had two queens from HM last year. Very gentle bees, hardly moving when you open them up. Neither colonies made any swarm preps this year. 14 x 12 plus a shallow full of bees this summer and 100lbs of honey from each which I think is good considering my location.

Well I think thats excellent I have been close on a few occasions to 100lbs (no osr) but it eludes me but one day. :winner1st:

Another thing to add, if there's clouds in the sky my buckfasts can be the worst colony in the apiary to inspect!

Out of interest ultreen1 is your queen from Greece via Liverpool’ish

All bees can be a bit grumpy if the conditions are not their liking and Buckfast are no exception to this, having said that my Buckfasts are by far the best bees i have worked with both in terms of temperament and honey yield, in fact i have almost entirely switched over to them, as far as subsequent generations i have had no problems at all i had more trouble with my carny stocks they could be evil and just want to swarm then swarm again, Buckfast for me Chris :winner1st:

All bees can be a bit grumpy if the conditions are not their liking and Buckfast are no exception to this, having said that my Buckfasts are by far the best bees i have worked with both in terms of temperament and honey yield, in fact i have almost entirely switched over to them, as far as subsequent generations i have had no problems at all i had more trouble with my carny stocks they could be evil and just want to swarm then swarm again, Buckfast for me Chris :winner1st:

All this years increases have been from my best buckfast queen so next year will show if they are any different temperament wise. As for yield...great last year, amazing this year! If I buy queens I know where I'll be getting them from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back