Tdf

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They make me feel old-I was there when CB broke the world hour record! Was a reasonable cyclist myself. I can remember saying to my training partner, this domestique's no good-he was Lance Armstrong!!!
Hope I'm better at bee keeping than I was at judging my rivals. lol.

Does boardmans hour record still stand? How many people do you know who, because of their training regime, end up with osteoporosis and have to train down for a year before starting treatment.

It's a golden age for British cycling and we should all enjoy it.

Baggy

Watched most of TDF this year have to say its a brillant day for UK cycling.

Sure is what a finish. What a day for the UK.

PH (gone out on the bike)

A truly wonderful achievement, BUT I hope that the obvious spur it will give UK cyclists is matched by some (sadly) uncharacteristic respect for other road users. I live in a quiet rural area, and often at weekends all the local roads are full of lycra-clad, ass in the air, heads down, no mirrors brigade...... Who appear to be of the belief that a cycling helmet confers immortality, and totally absolves them from the need to be aware of anyone else on the road - looking round or using a mirror is against their religion, and should you give them a polite toot (as I was taught) when approaching an inattentive bicyclist, you are likely to be greeted by fist-waving, foul language, and dramatic wobbles across the road. I've often found the roads completely blocked by slow-moving 6 abreast club cyclists who are probably some of the worst.

By the same token, I find horse-riders to be almost unfailingly polite, and I'm happy to slow down and give them a wide berth as it's always acknowledged, usually with a cheery smile - I do wish cyclists would take a leaf out of their books (how come they have the only wheeled vehicles with no bally mirrors?)

A truly wonderful achievement, BUT I hope that the obvious spur it will give UK cyclists is matched by some (sadly) uncharacteristic respect for other road users. I live in a quiet rural area, and often at weekends all the local roads are full of lycra-clad, ass in the air, heads down, no mirrors brigade...... Who appear to be of the belief that a cycling helmet confers immortality, and totally absolves them from the need to be aware of anyone else on the road - looking round or using a mirror is against their religion, and should you give them a polite toot (as I was taught) when approaching an inattentive bicyclist, you are likely to be greeted by fist-waving, foul language, and dramatic wobbles across the road. I've often found the roads completely blocked by slow-moving 6 abreast club cyclists who are probably some of the worst.

By the same token, I find horse-riders to be almost unfailingly polite, and I'm happy to slow down and give them a wide berth as it's always acknowledged, usually with a cheery smile - I do wish cyclists would take a leaf out of their books (how come they have the only wheeled vehicles with no bally mirrors?)

:iagree::iagree:

I know they can get a hard time with drivers, but arrogance doesn't engender sympathy

Ah always reliable for a rant.

Having been cut up by more drivers than I can count I have no sympathy.

PH

I'm sure you're the exception that proves the rule, polite to a fault, have mirrors and use them, and are grateful for any motorist who gives you a polite toot whilst you're having buddhist revelations while you pedal so that everybody knows what's going on, and give them a cheery wave as they pass.......... :biggrinjester:

Is there a correllation between the number of folk participating in cycling to the number who excell at it?

I know I was with Bradley every mile... having felt the bonk myself..BRAVO !!

He and the team behind him are the real heroes.. not that goole Hr CAMERON AND THE OTHERS DESPERATE TO SHARE THE MOMENT OF GLORY!!!

Actally yes I have mirrors and use them.

I worked with a senior chap who went to live in France and via my enthusism took up cycling himself.

He saw a Sunday chain gang go past then a car. At the traffic lights a very large gent of middle years who was the rea guard of the gang was leaning on the car and giving the driver some serious grief for some traffic transgression or other and the rest of the gang was watching and cheering him on.

In other words in France cyclists are treated with some respect, a matter of great enjoyment to my boss. Sadly in the UK that respect is conspicuous in it's absence I can assure you.

I have even been told I don't pay road tax by a motorist, whilst out on my bike so what right have I to use the road....

PH

Latest posts

Back