TBH & Warre

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerford

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
National
Last edited:
nice looking Warre, any more info / results from using this type of hive?

Hi Somerford,

nice hives,

out of interest, what wood have you used and thickness?

Just being nosey - I have the various plans for both and am interested in what you had used for yours,

thebhoy

Hi Somerford,

nice hives,

out of interest, what wood have you used and thickness?

Just being nosey - I have the various plans for both and am interested in what you had used for yours,

thebhoy

It says at the bottom of the pic "a Warre hive made from recycled pallets - cost ? £10 ish. The bees were free !"

LOL - thanks admin. I couldn't say what thickness they were as the warre was made by my beekeeping partner, John, who is a great fan of re-using pallets (as am I!) I suspect about 12-15mm.

We have made the decision to house the 'eco' hives on one site, and the conventional + beehaus on another - which is better as the BH would stand out like a sore thumb on the other site anyway.

We do, however, have odd bait hives at each site.

regards

S

Is the Warre hive getting more popular Somerford?
I dont have time to go read Phils site much so am out of touch,
Do many americans use the Warre,I know they like the TBH if going down the eco route.

I think it's still relatively "early days" with the Warre - I've got one, and am absolutely gobsmacked that what was a tiny colony with minimal stores appears to have made it through a very difficult winter - they're flying well, and there's a lot of bees returning with large orange and yellow pollen loads, so am very hopeful!:coolgleamA:
I'm reserving judgement as to which is best (or which suits me best) - certainly the simple TBH has a lot going for it - ludicrously cheap and easy to build, excellent if you're not up to lifting, and mine has worked really well - the swarm built into a big bouncy colony by winter that looks to have made it through unscathed...........:coolgleamA:
My one difficulty is deciding what to build more of......... first on the agenda is either one or perhaps 2 TBH bait hives, and another TBH, and perhaps another Warre.........:D

Oliver - odd in that I mean the odd one or two !

They are peculiar as one is made from an old plastic planter with holes drilled in the base for an entrance and the other is the one under the large TBH in the photos which can only be described as a mini-mini TBH !

Both have starter strips of wax set into wooden battens , although once it warms a little I will probably bait them with some old comb (didn't previously due to wax moths hunger during winter months)

I will also be making a warre type baithive too when I get 5 mins (like the ones Brian Bush has talked about)

I suppose the final 'odd' thing is the plastic planter is Orange.....goes well with the beehaus, lol

S

It says at the bottom of the pic "a Warre hive made from recycled pallets - cost ? £10 ish. The bees were free !"

Cheers for that - I will pay more attention in future and read the 'small print' as well as admire the pics.:blush5::blush5:

Thebhoy

TBH Swarm

Hi Somerford, or anyone out there!
Just a Q about TBH, just built one (KTB) if I manage to get a swarm would I need to feed syrup or leave well alone?
Roadster

The bees will cope. Just a little easier for them to make a start. Depending on provenance, consider leaving for a few days so they use up all honey stores brought from the old hive, so as to minimise the risk of them storing any dodgy larvae food.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back