tarmac

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

its a longshot, but does anyone know bout tarmac?

3 or 4 years ago we had a new tarmac drive laid. However, at the beginning of last yer a 'substance' was spilt on the driveway... maybe petrol, some type of oil, or some other spillage (it appeared under the wifes car, so nor sure when it was done because she parked over it)
I found pine needles on the patch, so do not know whether it was chemical reaction due to pine sap?

the effect is greasy looking ptch that appers to 'bleed'. I have googled many times, but cannot relly find the answer.

I want to try and find out whether I should dig up the greasy patch and re-lay, or whether it needs coating or sealing.

I presume whatever it is that is leaching, would just be sealed into the driveway and would eventully bleed through?

I have left it a year to see if it would go way over time. it has not.

Thoughts?
Cheers
Pete

petrol will dissolve the tar that holds the stone together,but you say it oozes liquid ?, if its breaking down there will be small grains on the surface,ie stone where the tar has dissolved and sunken into the base course,in the summer the liquid tar will return to the surface again,if its breaking down only dig up and replace will cure the problem any pics will help

I had a Royal Enfield motorcycle in my teens... it had an unintentional total loss oil system that left a great oily hole in my mothers drive way.
50 years later the hole is still there, despite being covered over with more layers of tarmac since!

A tea tray with newspaper on top placed under the car's engine and gearbox over a weekend might show if there was still oil falling from it.

Latest posts

Back