taking in pollen .....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My viburnum had a goodly number of bees on it when the sun was out yesterday. Things are a bit slower today.

about 8 degrees here and no sign of activity despite sun.. beginning to feel a little worried as no sign of activity on fondant patty either.. they seemed fine a week ago. Can't wait for it to warm up - a high of 12 forecast for Tuesday, so I guess as long as it doesn't rain we'll know for sure then! :-/

Hi all,
Saw some dark brown pollen today. Any ideas anyone?

I am also worried - the bees absolutely refuse to come out. 8c today, and it was a little warmer a couple of days ago. I did have a peak in my 'best' hive, with my 'best queen' but no sign of eggs. Yet only 2 miles up the road at a friends apiary, the bees have been flying for the past couple of weeks AND his queens laying!

Girls flying today with pollen coming in. 7 degrees. Very bright today here. No clouds.
Yellow pollen mainly. Tomorrow wil be a busy day as forecast says 12 degrees.

no sign of activity on fondant patty

kdw, if it's over the feed hole maybe you just can't see them?....

Is it not a bit early to be opening up and checking? My bees out in force today, I think its snowdrop pollen.

I am also worried - the bees absolutely refuse to come out. 8c today, and it was a little warmer a couple of days ago. I did have a peak in my 'best' hive, with my 'best queen' but no sign of eggs. Yet only 2 miles up the road at a friends apiary, the bees have been flying for the past couple of weeks AND his queens laying!

Please, please...... 8c and opening the hive......be patient or you will kill them!
If the sun gets on your hive all day then they may fly but they know best.. As long as they have food you need to give them a chance....honest!
E

Please, please...... 8c and opening the hive......be patient or you will kill them!
If the sun gets on your hive all day then they may fly but they know best.. As long as they have food you need to give them a chance....honest!
E

:iagree: It's still winter you know! - I haven't even thought about inspections yet; it could do more harm than good

Opening up hive
I had to! Over the weekend I did a natural varroa drop check. No obvious varroa, but some defecation on the sticky board. Naturally I was concerned about possible nosema. Hence the necessity to check the health of the bees and combs.

The weather forecast in Lancashire is set to change come Wednesday

:iagree: It's still winter you know! - I haven't even thought about inspections yet; it could do more harm than good
:iagree:
I put the varroa boards in today so I could get an idea of where they are and what they're doing from what falls on them. It's too cold to do anything else.

Crazy opening the hive in these temps - and what would you have done if you saw/suspected nosema anyway?

The best lesson Newbees (and not so Newbees) can hoist aboard is PATIENCE

Until you can stand in your apiary in a "T" shirt (and trousers of course) leave your bees in peace.

Today we have sunshine and +16C but it is blowing a gale and there is not a bee in sight - even I am staying indoors.

Until you can stand in your apiary in a "T" shirt (and trousers of course) leave your bees in peace.

'T' shirt weather you say? Come up to Northern England in the middle of winter when it is near freezing with snow on the ground. Then go into any town, and take a look at what some of the younger generation are wearing! Skimpy tops, short skirts, bare legs, and sandals. Brrr

Latest posts

Back