Taking a chance.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was forced to leave my job. Not a moment too soon really. Then had a spell of potentially serious illness. They call me 'Lucky!'
I'm better now. Last year I learned that I had a small pension that I could cash. Obviously I thought 'Wine....women....song' at first. However, my partner was not happy with the 'women' aspect and pointed out that I actually make enough wine to float a frigate. As for 'song?'.........Nahhh!
I decided that putting together a bee-keeping business would be better at this time. The first reason to do this was the break from the E.U. Imports of cheap foreign honey may well be affected by tariffs and increased transport costs? The importation of bees from the likes of Italy could also be in the balance. So to me, it could be the time to get into this underestimated farming sector. Did you know that we only produce 14% of the honey we consume in the UK? 50% of the honey imported comes from Europe. The rest comes from Turkey, the Eastern bloc, New Zealand (obviously!) and by far the biggest, China.
I had already done a business course, where I researched and wrote a paper on beekeeping. As an unemployed and over 60 person, I pitched my idea to the Universal Credit people They put me on the 'Enterprise Allowance' scheme! The extra income they give me are a drop in the ocean, compared with the money I have already put in to this, but certainly helps!
In the middle of all this....Covid-19 struck. It looked like YET AGAIN I would loose everything, like I did two years ago. This time .....due to another illness, not actually affecting me for the moment. Incredibly I just got in 'under the wire' though. In fact I was told that I was one of the only people in the West Midlands actually starting a business at this time!

Next post....Hives

Latest posts

Back