Table saw

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all

i'm thinking of investing in a Ryobi ETS1825 254mm (10") Folding Table Saw - has anyone got one/ had experience of one?

many thanks!

I have a really cheap table saw.... God they are dangerous things. Please be careful, it can shoot a piece of wood across the worhop at Mach 2 !!!

sounds like the saw i've been using at my fathers, hence my need to get one which has been manufactured this century!!

I have a really cheap table saw.... God they are dangerous things. Please be careful, it can shoot a piece of wood across the worhop at Mach 2 !!!

They all have that facility built in as standard;)

Hi Gower, I have just had a look at a few reviews and most say it does what it says on the tin but others say buy a German saw they last longer

Last summer i was working with the table saw,didnt stop it while reaching for a piece of wood and ran my thumb over the top of the blade,caused a deep, wide gash.I had problems doing inspections all summer,trying to use my fingers instead of my thumb.But on a brighter note,at least my thumb is still there and working,could have been a lot worst.BE CAREFUL EVERYONE

I can't comment about that specific Ryobi product, but I use Ryobi cordless tools. I'd rate them as medium to heavy duty DIY or light duty trade. Well made, do what they're supposed to and reliable.

If I wanted a portable table saw I'd certainly consider the one you're interested in. I'd want to go and see one before parting with money, though.

Hi
Just had a look at the one I bought 2 years ago- you can see how often it gets used.
Its this model:
Ryobi ETS 1526AL 250mm Table Saw 240 Volt

It is great for cutting up 18mm, 12mm ply for making nucs etc along with cutting old brood boxes in half to covert them into nucs.
One useful thing is being able to cut the 3-4" boards you get on free pallets into 10mm strips for making frames around crown boards, queen excluders and varroa floors- the width of the boards is around 1 bee space.
It isn't any good for cutting angles despite the attachment.
I use it once or twice a year but wouldn't be with out it.

Alec

look on you tube at saw bench sledge for cross cut and squaring up ends of timber etc i made one and never looked back brilliant cut a v in a piece of wood for shoving timber through instead of the plastic ones you get with the saw

thank you for all the replies and useful links. i'll look into the spec a bit more and certainly view before i buy, but from feedback and what i've looked at, it seems a pretty decent saw - plus i agree, the portable / storage side is definately a consideration for me. i cant get over the price range online for the same saw though - ranging from £250 to nearly £500. crazy!!!

But on a brighter note,at least my thumb is still there and working,could have been a lot worse.

Don't want to sound like the cotton wool brigade, but I know three beekeepers who have removed bits of digits whilst working with table saws.

The story is a familiar one: "I just removed the safety guard to do a fiddly bit and it snatched at the timber..." Near-farce then ensued with hunting for the digit, bags of frozen peas, and the obligatory trip to A&E wasting a good beekeeping day.

Get yourselves a nice sturdy pushing stick with a notched end, hang it on a hook near the saw and treat it like an old friend ;)

The one I saw at 250 was the 110 volt version. It seems that it has been superceded by a later model? Or maybe not robust enough (the folding bit ) for continued site use?

I have a Triton table 'system' with a circular saw to achieve similar things, can also be fitted with many other beekeeping useful accessories like routers..

Last edited:
Derek, how have you found the saw, I was thinking of getting one and some feedback from someone who is using one would be great. Can you foresee any problems with cutting down sheets of ply etc, apart from the size of the 8x4 sheets, but I suppose you can add another table to support the ply sheet as it is being ripped to size. Thanks.

Derek, how have you found the saw, I was thinking of getting one and some feedback from someone who is using one would be great. Can you foresee any problems with cutting down sheets of ply etc, apart from the size of the 8x4 sheets, but I suppose you can add another table to support the ply sheet as it is being ripped to size. Thanks.

If you've got limited working space consider getting your timber supplier to rip the sheets down to size. For me it makes them more manageable and, as an added bonus, means I can get them in the back of my car. If they charge for delivery the cost of a few cuts might be less than the delivery cost.

If you've got limited working space consider getting your timber supplier to rip the sheets down to size. For me it makes them more manageable and, as an added bonus, means I can get them in the back of my car. If they charge for delivery the cost of a few cuts might be less than the delivery cost.

Very true, I am lucky at the moment that my mate, who has just qualified as a chippie, is keen to start beekeeping and has a van that can fit 2.4x 1.2 sheets of stuff I the back, but whilst trying to make nucs, I have discovered that my hand saw skills are not really up to scratch, he needs da site table saw and I ned. Aloud of work doing on a new build so I was thinking of getting a saw that we could both use :)

much better than the previous one quite quiet as well. it quite solid and heavy so i move it on its wheels. A good piece of kit makes it easier and safer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back