T Seeley

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
Which of the legendary T Seeley's books does he write about tracking bee's please?

ttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Following-Wild-Bees-Science-Hunting/dp/0691170266

Awesome thanks

He talks about insulating hives in the " The Lives of Bees" ...
I thought I'd just drop that in :)

You go Tiger :winner1st:

Regards to you and Snr Mngt

I built a bee hunting box but never got round to using it :)

We used to do it with wasps as children and might need to do it for the Asian Hornet

had go at tracking bees from a water supply (a muddy shallow pond) to see which hives were fetching water. It turned out that a single poly hive was fetching 8 times more water than the 3 artificial tree hives put together and it was happening consistently for a period of a few weeks. So you can find out more than just were they come from.

had go at tracking bees from a water supply (a muddy shallow pond) to see which hives were fetching water. It turned out that a single poly hive was fetching 8 times more water than the 3 artificial tree hives put together and it was happening consistently for a period of a few weeks. So you can find out more than just were they come from.

Maybe that’s one reason why we see poly hives busier than wooden ones earlier in the year?

These artificial tree hives lose substantially less heat than poly and are 1.7m tall externally 1.3m internally

That would rule out the moisture shortage associated with insulated hives caused by lower respiration rates.
It could be simply a case of more brood in the poly or a mineral shortage. I'm sure there are plenty of other explanations

Latest posts

Back