Sysonby Knoll bee cam

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Has anyone noticed there seem to be a few bees in there on their backs?
If this hive is set up normally wouldnt they fall to the floor?
Or are they walking on a glass screen?
http://www.sysonby.com/beecam/

Last edited:
Can bees see infra red? I was thinking of putting a camera in a hive, but you'd need an IR illuminator to see in the dark. Would they be bothered by this? Knowing my bees, they'd prop it to hell in about half an hour.

They don't mind being lit with white light 24hrs a day - the beecam uses white light and they seem happy enough after a year. I use LEDs to illuminate as the bees seem not to like strong halogen lights and simply move to a different part of the comb - with the LEDs they don't.

The spectrum of light that we see extends from red through to violet. We don't see infra red or ultra violet light, but may perceive the effects of it as the heating effects of IR or the secondary light given off by items that fluoresce under the influence of UV.
Bees vision starts nearer yellow through to ultra violet. They don't see infra red, red or TV. :)

[ the inclusion of TV above was a joke of course ] :)
It probably does no good having a droll sense of humour, but it it sure feels funny to me.

Propolising of an IR illuminator.- Think about this just a little bit and you will realise that they will propolise it not because they can see it, but because it compromises bee space rules. In your average hive and particularly at night, bees still operate. Everything is done by touch or under the influence of pheromones.
An illuminator would need to be built in such a way that it wouldn't stand out - flush with a side-wall. That way with a cool light source you might get away with it. After all in the Sysonby hive they don't attempt to propalise the glass as it doesn't break bee space rules (tactile). As was said, a warm light source encourages the bees to move away elsewhere.

I hope this helps.

PS Great bee cam Beewolf - thanks :)

Last edited:
They don't see infra red, red or TV. :)

[ the inclusion of TV above was a joke of course ] :)

I thought the drones sat about the hive all day with their feet up, drinking beer and watching TV unless there was a virgin handy to inseminate............have I got it wrong then?

hahaha-024.gif

Very interesting Hombre..............:cheers2:

Frisbee

I thought the drones sat about the hive all day with their feet up, drinking beer and watching TV unless there was a virgin handy to inseminate............have I got it wrong then?

Frisbee

only the singles ones.... the married ones are doing the DIY :toetap05:

Drat, I didn't realise that I had stumbled upon a truth with the TV reference. :)

Flying with the boys and practicing hot pursuit with a view to in-flight shagging, yep, that sounds about right.:)

Sharp as a tack as ever I can see.

Latest posts

Back