Sysonby cam

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavin

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
about 70 and rising
Hi All

I forget who set this up, but well done!

http://www.sysonby.com/beecam/

The bees leaving on a trip (as opposed to the ones loitering at the entrance) almost all pause briefly at the entrance and wipe their *eyes* (sometimes also antennae) with their front legs just before they set off. It looks habitual - something they just have to do.

Anyone see this in their own colonies?

all the best

Gavin

I cant view it it loads then says connecting to media then ready then nowt :(

Similarly: Connecting, buffering and stopped. I'm using Mplayer plugin for Firefox (Linux OS).

Firefox on XP for me, don't know what the plug-in is. I've watched it many times and it has always worked fine for me.

They had dumped some chalkbrood on the doorstep earlier today but it has been carried away now. Not much foraging at the moment but those that are still wipe their eyes just before they set off.

G.

Working OK for me now too. It must have been busy, but I was thrown by the lack of appropriate message as advised.

MPlayer is a movie and animation player that supports a wide range of codecs and file formats. Open Source of course, part of the Swiss Army Knife for video that is Mplayer and ffmpeg.

Back on subject: is the illumination IR? The bees are crawling in and out and occasionally a BIG drone struts out looks around and returns. Obviously at this time of night there is some activity, but little or no flight. With IR illumination, I guess IR light wouldn't attract the bees in the same way as visible light. Neat.

The stream is windows media player, so should work with firefox or IE. However, my bandwidth only allows 5 viewers at a time, and this camera is proving popular, so you just have to be patient!

This observation hive actually has TWO virgin queens at the moment - has had since Wednesday - the bees seem to be keeping them apart, I thought a cast would come out today or yesterday but not yet. I am recording so let me know if you see anything interesting.

Yes the night time illumination is IR

How long is the connecting tube, six to eight inches or longer? The project is interesting and suggests so many other great ideas to keep tabs on our little friends.

I often wonder just what the outcomes might be for two Virgin Queens in a hive. If the bees are keeping them apart, is a cast inevitable or will the bees eventually allow a clash of Queens. It does seem to preclude any form of normal mating flights. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this area to share please?

Thanks Beewolf, I will check back often, but briefly in order that others can keep an eye on things too. :cheers2:

I've been watching the bee camera on and off all day and would suggest they're getting ready to swarm, even now they are bearding and it isn't a particularly nice day ?.

John Wilkinson

Just tried it. that dont work for me either. It still says connecting to media. then says ready and thats it just black where the picture should be. (and dont say its because its dark out lol) :cheers2:

Have you tried waiting for it to go through the buffering stage?

That's a pity Veg as it is really interesting to watch (many thanks Beewolf).

Yes, I saw them bearding this morning and they are still doing so now. A calm mass of bees in that vertical orientation you sometimes see on a frame around Q raising time. Only the cam is so close you can see the mass of bees gently oscillate up and down as their abdomens pulse slowly. One or two bees picking over things, but generally they seem to be sleeping.

Do you have another PC/laptop somewhere that you can try? It really is worth seeing.

best wishes

Gavin

Veg does it say "Buffering" ?
You may need a codec that you dont have on your computer ?

Regards the bees,is the camera still on the entrance ? they look like they are upto no good,they either need a super for more room or they are thinking of taking a long holiday from the hive.

The quote below was posted 13th June.
This observation hive actually has TWO virgin queens at the moment - has had since Wednesday

I've been watching the bee camera on and off all day and would suggest they're getting ready to swarm, even now they are bearding and it isn't a particularly nice day ?.

John Wilkinson

We were watching them too John, at one point it was throwing it down and they were still bearding on the outside of the hive and they were wet through. My understanding is this hive swarmed not too long ago too.

Beewolf has just come online so it will be interesting what updates he can give us regards the state of the hive.

Latest posts

Back