Syrup vs Fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapperman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national 3 tbh
Was just wondering what the pros and cons are of each for winter feeding i know most use syrup and treatments can be added but have read that some beeks use fondant exclusively.

Is it easier for the bees to store fondant as the weather gets worse due to less water content, or does it take more work to move it as i suppose its "harder" (for want of a better word) than syrup.

Just thinking out loud:leaving:

They need to evaporate syrup to store it, when it is cold, they can't evaporate it, so the syrup just ends up fermenting and making the bees sick. Syrup in early autumn (now) to bolster stores if needed. If they are hungry in the winter, then a block of fondant over a hole in the crownboard is the answer.

Bees need to collect a lot of water in order to store fondant. I think it is one of those things intended to make things easier for the beek rather than the bees. Beekeeping 'short cuts' tend to work ... but not as well as doing it the longer way.

honey approx is 20% water, 80% sugar and syrup 2lb to pint is 54%sugar and 2kg to 1L is 67% sugar and fondant upto 95% sugar

either way they have to do something to it to bring it to 80%sugar in order to store it, in cold weather obtaining water can be difficult for bees, with the hive at 35c it is easier for them to evapoarate 67% syrup to make storable food

if you give them foundant in winter, they tend to be are eating it rather than storing

Last edited:
Just my way of thinking , but isn't easy for them here in the south to get water ?
The temps are still very good ( well here they are ) so would fondant be the simpler method for me.
Just stick a 10 kg block on top of each hive lol

if you give them foundant in winter, they tend to be are eating it rather than storing

I have the feeling that bees are just constantly trying to store fondant if there's any in the hive. Trying to dissolve it in water. Transporting it into combs. Evaporating.

Back